World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Seven Stars Public House, Bristol

Article Id: WHEBN0011135054
Reproduction Date:

Title: Seven Stars Public House, Bristol  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bristol, Buildings and architecture of Bristol, List of pubs in the United Kingdom, Grade II listed buildings in Bristol
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Seven Stars Public House, Bristol

Seven Stars Public House
General information
Town or city Bristol
Country England
Completed 18th century

The Seven Stars Public House (

One of the earliest references to the pub is in the Bristol Record Office. It mentions Sir John Hawkins, who, whilst buying what was to become the Georges Brewery, acquired the lease in 1694 from the Saunders family brewing dynasty "…a half tenement, the sign of the Seven Stars, St Thomas Lane".

"Michael Jaine, victualler" held "The Starrs" "in accordance with his fathers will" in the latter part of the seventeenth century. Michael Jayne was the son of William Jayne of St. Thomas, Innholder who died in 1666. Abraham Sanders married Margaret Jayne, daughter of William Jayne and Abraham Sanders was the administrator of William's will. Michael Jayne, Innholder of St. Thomas, was deceased by 1672, when an inventory of the his estate was taken. There has been no record found as to how the property transferred to Abraham Saunders after Michael's death. Abraham Saunders "late of the city of Bristol" died in 1690 and his son Anthony transferred the property to John Hawkins in 1694.

It is now noted for its association with the abolitionist Thomas Clarkson, who visited in 1787 and used the pub as a base for his researches into Bristol's "Honourable Trade" of slavery.

References

External links

  • An article about Thomas Clarkson's stay at The Seven Stars

Coordinates: 51°27′06″N 2°35′24″W / 51.45180°N 2.58998°W / 51.45180; -2.58998

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.