World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Siege of Fort-Louis (1793)

Siege of Fort-Louis (1793)
Part of War of the First Coalition

Map of Fort-Louis by Cassini (1756–1815)
Date 14 October–14 November 1793
Location Fort-Louis, Bas-Rhin, France
Result Coalition victory
Belligerents
Habsburg Austria
Hesse-Darmstadt
Electorate of Bavaria
Republican France
Commanders and leaders
Franz von Lauer Michel Durand
Strength
4,700, 55 guns 4,500, 111 guns
Casualties and losses
unknown 4,500, 5 colors

The Siege of Fort-Louis (14 October–14 November 1793) saw a force composed of Habsburg Austrians, Hessians and Bavarians led by Franz von Lauer lay siege to Fort-Louis which was held by a Republican French garrison under Michel Durand. The French capitulated after a defense lasting exactly one month. The siege occurred during the War of the First Coalition, part of the French Revolutionary Wars. In 1793 the fortress was sited on an island in the Rhine River, but today Fort-Louis is a village in the Bas-Rhin department in France.

Siege

General of Brigade Michel Durand's 4,500-strong garrison consisted of the 1st Battalions of the 4th Light, 37th Line and 40th Line Infantry Demi Brigades and the Strasbourg Volunteers, 3rd Battalions of the Gard and Saône-et-Loire Volunteers, and the 12th Battalion of the Vosges Volunteers. Dominique-André_de_Chambarlhac supervised the technical elements of the defense.[1] Altogether, Fort-Louis mounted 111 artillery pieces. General-major Franz von Lauer commanded the 4,700-man besieging force which included a siege train of 55 guns. Lauer commanded three battalions of the Combined Bavarian Regiment, one battalion from the Hessian Lieb Regiment, the Hessian Lieb Grenadier Battalion, one Austrian battalion from an unknown regiment and two squadrons of the Szekler Hussar Regiment.[2]

Notes

  1. ^ (French) Jean-Baptiste-Pierre Courcelles,Dictionnaire universel de la noblesse de France, Au Bureau général de la noblesse de France,1822, pp. 73–74.
  2. ^

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.