World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Siege of the Troitse-Sergiyeva Lavra

Article Id: WHEBN0003044334
Reproduction Date:

Title: Siege of the Troitse-Sergiyeva Lavra  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Mikhail Skopin-Shuisky
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Siege of the Troitse-Sergiyeva Lavra

Siege of Troitse-Sergiyeva Lavra
Part of Polish-Muscovite War (1605–1618)
Troitse-Sergiyeva Lavra against Polish troops from September 1609 to January 1611.
Date 1608 to 1610
Location near Dobrynichi, Russia
Result Russian victory
Belligerents
Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth Tsardom of Russia
Commanders and leaders
Jan Piotr Sapieha
Aleksander Lisowski
Grigory Dolgorukov
Aleksey Golokhvastov
Strength
15,000 2,400
Casualties and losses
? ?

Template:Campaignbox Polish-Muscovite War (1605–1618) The Siege of Troitse-Sergiyeva Lavra (Троицкая осада, Троицкое сидение in Russian) was an abortive attempt of the Polish-Lithuanian irregular army supporting False Dmitri II to capture the Trinity Monastery. The siege lasted for 16 months, from 23 September 1608 until 12 January 1610.

In december 1608, the Polish-Lithuanian army of some 15,000 men (led by Jan Piotr Sapieha and Aleksander Lisowski) laid siege to the fortress of the Trinity monastery (Russian: Troitse-Sergiyeva Lavra), which had been protecting the northern approaches to Moscow. The Russian garrison (estimated at between 2,200 and 2,400 men) consisted of dvoryane, streltsy, monastic servants, monks, and peasants, led by the voyevodas Prince Grigory Dolgorukov and Aleksey Golokhvastov.

In the early October 1608, the attackers began shelling and mining the monastery. Numerous assaults in October and November were repelled by the Russians and resulted in heavy losses for the Polish-Lithuanian army. The besieged were undertaking frequent sallies, one of which (9 November) would end with an explosion of a mine under a monastery tower and destruction of an enemy battery on the Red Mountain, with two peasants - Shipov and Sloba - losing their lives during this sally.

There had been no significant military activity from late November 1608 until May 1609, but the besieged garrison suffered many casualties due to an outbreak of scurvy. In May through July 1609, the Russians repelled a number of enemy attacks. On 19 October 1609, and 4 January 1610, auxiliary detachments under the command of David Zherebtsov (900 men) and Grigory Voluyev (500 men) managed to make their way into the fortress. Under the threat of the approaching Mikhail Skopin-Shuisky's army, the Polish-Lithuanian forces raised the siege on 12 January 1610 and retreated to Dmitrov.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.