World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

South Hamgyŏng

Article Id: WHEBN0008041953
Reproduction Date:

Title: South Hamgyŏng  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Demographics of North Korea, Hamgyŏng dialect, Ryonghungsa
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

South Hamgyŏng

This article is about the province of North Korea. For the hypothetical province claimed by the Republic of Korea, see South Hamgyeong Province, Republic of Korea.
South Hamgyong Province
함경남도
Province
Korean transcription(s)
 • Hangul 함경남도
 • Hanja 咸鏡南道
 • McCune‑Reischauer Hamgyŏngnam-do
 • Revised Romanization Hamgyeongnam-do
Country North Korea
Region Kwannam
Capital Hamhung
Subdivisions 3 cities; 15 counties
Area
 • Total 18,970 km2 (7,320 sq mi)
Population (2008)[1]
 • Total 3,066,013
 • Density 160/km2 (420/sq mi)
Dialect Hamgyong

South Hamgyong Province (Hamgyŏngnamdo) is a province of North Korea. The province was formed in 1896 from the southern half of the former Hamgyŏng Province, remained a province of Korea until 1945, then became a province of North Korea. Its capital is Hamhung.

Geography

The province is bordered by Ryanggang to the north, North Hamgyong to the northeast, Kangwon to the south, and South Pyongan to the west. On the east of the province is the Sea of Japan (East Sea of Korea). South Hamgyong is also home to Yodok prison camp.

Administrative divisions

South Hamgyong is divided into 3 cities ("si"), 2 districts (1 "gu" and 1 "chigu"), and 15 counties ("gun").[2] These are further divided into villages (ri and dong, with dong also denoting neighborhoods in cities), with each county additionally having one town (up) which acts as its administrative center. These are detailed on each county’s individual page. Some cities are also divided into wards known as "guyok", which are administered just below the city level and also listed on the individual page.

Cities

Districts

Counties

References

Coordinates: 40°14′24″N 127°31′52″E / 40.240°N 127.531°E / 40.240; 127.531

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.