St. Alexander Orosci

The Abbey of Orosh (also known as Mirditë Abbey or St. Alexander Oroshi) was a territorial Benedictine abbey in Orosh, Albania, now destroyed, dedicated to the martyr St. Alexander.

By papal decree of 25 October 1888, this abbey with its two affiliated parishes, together with five other parishes in the Diocese of Lezhë (Alessio, Lješ) were removed from the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Lezhë.

In 1890 three parishes from the Diocese of Sapë were added, and in 1894 five more parishes from Lezhë.

When Albania was still part of the Ottoman Balkanic dominions in Europe, the region was inhabited by Muslims, Greek Orthodox and Catholics. In the early 20th century the Catholics numbered 16,550 and are under the care of secular and regular clergy. The abbot was chosen from among the secular clergy. The abbot, Mgr. Primus Docchi, who resided at Oroshi was born at Bulgri, 7 February 1846, and studied at the Propaganda College in Rome. The Franciscans had a parish and a hospital at Gomsice.

Source

  • public domain: 

Coordinates: 41°51′42″N 20°04′17″E / 41.8618°N 20.0715°E / 41.8618; 20.0715

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.