World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St. Scholastica's College Manila

Article Id: WHEBN0006107018
Reproduction Date:

Title: St. Scholastica's College Manila  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Fille Cainglet, Association of Southeast Asian Institutions of Higher Learning, Lyceum of the Philippines University, Leonor Orosa-Goquingco, Rogelio Mangahas
Collection: Benedictine Colleges and Universities, Education in Malate, Manila, Educational Institutions Established in 1906, Educational Institutions in Malate, Manila, Girls' Schools in the Philippines, Liberal Arts Colleges in the Philippines, Roman Catholic Elementary Schools in Manila, Roman Catholic Elementary Schools in Metro Manila, Roman Catholic Secondary Schools in Manila, Roman Catholic Secondary Schools in Metro Manila, Roman Catholic Universities and Colleges in Manila, Roman Catholic Universities and Colleges in Metro Manila, Universities and Colleges in Manila, Women's Universities and Colleges in the Philippines
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

St. Scholastica's College Manila

This article is about the educational institution in Manila. For the institution in Duluth, Minnesota, see The College of St. Scholastica.
St. Scholastica's College Manila
Ora et Labora (Prayer and Work)
Location
Malate, Manila
Philippines
Information
Type Private, Benedictine women's college, exclusive all-girls Catholic school
Established 1906
President Sr. Mary Francis Dizon , OSB
Staff 800
Number of students 9,856
Campus Leon Guinto Street (36,655.50 m²)
Color(s) Blue and White
Athletics WNCAA, WCSA, Manila Athletics
Nickname SSC Scions
Affiliations ASAIHL, CWC, I- SSI
Hymn Let's Cheer for St. Scholastica
Website

St. Scholastica's College Manila (SSC or colloquially St. Scho) is a Catholic institution for women established in 1906 and managed by the Missionary Benedictine Sisters of Tutzing. It is located in 3.66 hectare lot in Malate in the city of Manila. It is bounded by Estrada Street on the north, P. Ocampo Street on the south, Singalong Street on the east and Leon Guinto Street on the west. The college was established initially offering elementary grades. It started admitting high school students in 1907 and opened its collegiate department in 1920. It pioneered formal music education in the Philippines, opening a Conservatory of Music in 1907. Although St. Scholastica's College is an exclusive school for women, admission of male students in the Music, Fine Arts, and Interior Design programs have been allowed.

St. Scholastica's College is recognized by the Department of Education and the Commission on Higher Education and also a charter member of the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities. It has earned Level III accreditation on all of its respective departments and schools. The college will undergo its second accreditation on February 2007.

St. Scholastica's College celebrated its centennial celebration on December 3, 2006, at the Quirino Grandstand in Manila.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Academics 2
    • Academic linkages 2.1
  • Notable alumnae 3
  • Buildings 4
  • External links 5

History

Sr. Mary Thomas Prado, OSB (second from the left), the current President of St. Scholastica's College

St. Scholastica's College was founded by five young German sisters: Mother M. Ferdinanda Hoelzer, OSB, Sr. Petronilla Keller, Sr. Cresentia Veser, Sr. Winfrieda Mueller and Novice Alexia Ruedenauer on December 3, 1906 at the request of Apostolic Delegate Monsignor Dom Ambrose Agius, O.S.B. and Archbishop of Manila Jeremiah James Harty, D.D. to give religious education to the poor children of Manila. Archbishop Harty also gave the same request to the Christian Brothers which led to the establishment of De La Salle College in 1911. The site of the St. Scholastica’s College then was a small residential house surrounded by fishermen's huts in the fishing village of Tondo. There were then six paying students and 50 non-paying students or scholars.

A year after the college opened, it moved to a property in San Marcelino Street in Manila which was later occupied by St. Theresa's College Manila and where Adamson University now stands. The school was then housed in an old military barracks. On December 14, 1914 the college was moved again to another site in Singalong Street where the college presently stands. The land, about three hectares was then bought for the amount of two cents per square meter. St. Scholastica's College, along with its neighbor, De La Salle University-Manila, was ravaged by World War II where its school buildings were all destroyed. Reconstruction of the buildings began in 1946 and took nine years to restore.

Academics

Academic linkages

November 23, 2011, St. Scholastica's College Manila welcomes Wikimedia

The college is a member of the South Manila Inter-Constitutional Schools along with De La Salle University, Philippine Women's University, Philippine Christian University, Adamson University, Philippine Normal University, and the St. Paul University Manila. The students of the member schools may take accredited subjects in their chosen school for cross-enrollment. The college is also part of the Women's Consortium Colleges which includes Miriam College in Katipunan, Assumption College San Lorenzo in Makati, La Consolacion College Manila in Mendiola, St. Paul University Quezon City, and the College of the Holy Spirit Manila in Mendiola.

Notable alumnae

Buildings

External links

  • Official website



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.