World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Staffelführer

Article Id: WHEBN0001479609
Reproduction Date:

Title: Staffelführer  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Jagdstaffel 30, Units and commands of the Schutzstaffel, Siegfried Lemke, Heinz Schmidt, Nazi paramilitary ranks
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Staffelführer

Staffelführer was one of the first paramilitary ranks used by the German Schutzstaffel (SS) in the early years of that group’s existence. The SS rank of Staffelführer traces its origins to the First World War, where the title was used by commanding officers of German aircraft squadrons, known as Staffeln.

The rank of Staffelführer was first created in September 1925 when the SS was officially formed along the lines of the previously disbanded Stosstrupp Adolf Hitler, which had been a personal Sturmabteilung bodyguard detachment tasked with the personal protection of Adolf Hitler at Nazi Party rallies and meetings.

The early SS was formed into several Zehnerstaffeln, or “groups of ten”. Each SS unit comprised no more than ten SS-Mann under the command of an SS-Staffelführer, or squadron leader. The Staffelführer in turn answered to a local SS-Gauführer, or district leader, who answered to the national leader of the SS, known as the Reichsführer-SS.

By April 1926, the basic SS unit had become the larger SS-Sturm which comprised as many as fifty SS troopers. The rank of Staffelführer, at this point, became known simply as SS-Führer. In 1929, the rank of SS-Führer was officially renamed as SS-Sturmführer. By 1930, the rank of SS-Staffelführer had all but disappeared from the SS. It reappeared the following year, in 1931, as a rank of the NSKK.

In the early years of its existence, SS-Staffelführer had no particular insignia and holders of the rank simply wore paramilitary uniforms with a variety of Nazi insignia. By 1929, an SS-Staffelführer could be identified by a swastika armband with a white circular stripe.




This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.