World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Subate

Article Id: WHEBN0004193367
Reproduction Date:

Title: Subate  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ilūkste, List of National Roads in Latvia, Armin von Gerkan, Ilūkste Municipality, Daugavpils District
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Subate

Subate
Town
Subate Saint Michael Roman Catholic Church
Subate Saint Michael Roman Catholic Church
Coat of arms of Subate
Coat of arms
Subate is located in Latvia
Subate
Subate
Location in Latvia
Coordinates:
Country  Latvia
Municipality Ilūkste municipality
Town rights 1917
Population
 • Total 1,222
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)
Postal code LV-5471
Calling code +371 654

Subate (   ; German: Subbath), population 964, is a town in Latvia near the border with Lithuania. Subate is located in Selonia, the eastern part of the Zemgale region, 40 km west of Daugavpils.

The Old Jewish Cemetery in Subate

In 1570 Gotthard Kettler, the first Duke of Courland and Semigallia, granted the Baltic German Plater family, the dominant nobles throughout southeastern Latvia, an estate at the lake of Subate, and Alt-Subbath (Old Subbath) was established. After the Counter-Reformation, the Plater-Sybergs (Polish: Plater-Zyberk) converted to Catholicism, founding a mission with the intention of converting their serfs, and the Lutherans moved across the lake in protest, creating Neu-Subbath (New Subbath); the two towns were joined in 1894. By the late 19th century Jews composed about half of the population, and in 1914 there were ca. 2300 inhabitants. The town traded primarily in Lithuanian flax, but this trade languished after World War I. Almost all of Subate's Jews were brutally murdered in the Stahlecker phase of the Holocaust in 1941.

References

  • Arveds Švābe, ed.: Latvju enciklopēdija. Stockholm: Trīs Zvaigznes, 1952-1953.
  • Shtetl Focus: Subate. Retrieved 25. II. 2006.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.