World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Swayne Field

Article Id: WHEBN0014981573
Reproduction Date:

Title: Swayne Field  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Armory Park, Toledo Tigers, League Field, Triangle Park (Dayton), Luna Park, Cleveland
Collection: Baseball Venues in Ohio, Defunct National Football League Venues, Ohio League Venues, Toledo Maroons
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Swayne Field

Swayne Field
Location Monroe St. & Detroit Ave.
Toledo, Ohio
Coordinates
Capacity 11,800 (initial)
14,800 (1928 expansion)
Surface Natural Grass
Construction
Opened 1909
Demolished 1955
Tenants
Toledo Mud Hens (AA) (1909-1955)
Toledo Maroons (OL) (1908–1921)
Toledo Soumichers/Little Mud Hens (SML) (1914)
Toledo Maroons (NFL) (1923)

Swayne Field was a minor league baseball park in Toledo, Ohio. It was the home of the Toledo Mud Hens from July 3, 1909, until the club disbanded after the 1955 season. It was also home to a short-lived entry in the South-Michigan League in 1914.

The park was named for Noah H. Swayne, Jr., the son of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Noah Haynes Swayne, who donated the land for the ballpark.[1] The double-decker ballpark replaced Armory Park.

The ballpark was located on a block bounded by Monroe Street (southwest, first base), Detroit Avenue (southeast, right field), Council Street (northeast, left field) and railroad tracks (northwest, third base). Ground was broken on March 6, 1909, and the park opened on July 3. The opening game crowd got its money's worth, as the game went 18 innings, Columbus edging out Toledo 12-11. (Toledo Baseball Guide, p. 97)

Field dimensions initially were 360 feet down the left field line, 482 feet to center field, and 327 to right field. The park initially held 11,800 spectators. 1928 expansion added 3,000 more seats. Inner bleachers cut the center field distance to 425. In later years, an inner fence cut down the size of the left and center field areas further, to become more "home run friendly".

With the Mud Hens calling this field their home for the better part of 4612 years, this was the longest-lived of the many ballparks used for professional ball in Toledo. There were a few interruptions. The Mud Hens were transferred to Cleveland for 1914 and 1915 by their owner, who was also the owner of the Cleveland Indians. This was done to keep the Federal League at bay, by ensuring that there was a home game every day at Cleveland's League Park.

Another team was placed in Toledo for 1914, as part of the South-Michigan League. The "Soumichers" or "Little Mud Hens" drew poorly and became strictly a road team for the second half of the season. There was no club in 1915. In 1916, the original Mud Hens transferred back from Cleveland, with the Fed having folded.

The Mud Hens had little success over the years, and in mid-1952 the team transferred to Charleston, West Virginia. Another AA club transferred to Toledo for 1953, but after three seasons it left, and Swayne Field was demolished soon after.

The revived Mud Hens would begin in 1965 at Lucas County Stadium in Maumee, Ohio, which had been remodeled specifically to attract baseball to Toledo again.

See also

Sources

  • The Toledo Baseball Guide of the Mud Hens 1883–1943, Ralph Elliott Lin Weber, 1944.
  • Baseball Parks of North America, Michael Benson, McFarland, 1989.
  • Baseball in Toledo, John R. Husman, Arcadia, 2003.

Notes

  1. ^ "Swayne Field", Toledo's Attic, accessed March 1, 2009

External links

  • Photo of Swayne Field
  • Photos of Swayne Field
  • Writeup on Swayne Field
  • Summary of Toledo ballparks
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.