World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Tattingstone

Article Id: WHEBN0014054500
Reproduction Date:

Title: Tattingstone  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Joe Meek, Capel St. Mary, John Lyall, List of places in Suffolk, List of civil parishes in Suffolk, Tattingstone Wonder, Woolverstone
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Tattingstone

Coordinates: 52°00′00″N 1°07′01″E / 52.0°N 1.117°E / 52.0; 1.117

Tattingstone

St. Mary's, parish church of Tattingstone
Suffolk
District Babergh
Shire county Suffolk
Region East
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town Ipswich
EU Parliament East of England
List of places
UK
England
Suffolk

Tattingstone is a village and civil parish in Suffolk, England located on the Shotley peninsula about 6 miles (9.7 km) south of Ipswich. It has a population of over 500, and is the location of Tattingstone Place and the folly known as the Tattingstone Wonder. Tattingstone was recorded in Domesday as "Tatituna" or "Tatistuna".

It is a parish with 3 distinct settlements. The main settlement houses the church, Tattingstone Park and the former Stamford House of Industry, or Workhouse (1766–1930). This site was used as St Mary's hospital until it was redeveloped for housing in 1991. Tattingstone Heath is located on the A137, whilst a small hamlet close to the White Horse is connected to the rest of the parish by Lemons Hill bridge over the western end of Alton reservoir.

The Tattingstone Estate was bequeathed to Mr Western by his father's first cousin Thomas White in 1808. Tattingstone Church (OS grid TM1337) has a vault dedicated for Thomas Western (died 1814) and his wife Guilietta Roman (died 1850) and Thomas White (died 1808). The church was robbed on Thursday, 16 October 2008.

The village was split into two halves in the 1970s when the valley was flooded to make a 400-acre (1.6 km2) reservoir. Alton Mill which once stood in the way of the development was dismantled and re-erected at the Museum of East Anglian Life in Stowmarket.

However, Tattingstone Alton Hall was not preserved and disappeared into the water. Over twenty houses and two farms were flooded to make way for the reservoir.

The pavilion which resides on the playing field in the village was constructed using the doors and some of the structural timbers from the boat house that was situated on the lakes that were in the valley prior to the flooding. The pavilion was built by five local men who used to live in the village.

The reservoir is managed by Anglian Water and is known as Alton Water or Alton Reservoir. It is now a haven for wildlife and is used by cyclists, walkers and fishermen and for other watersports.

Tattingstone Wonder is a strange folly built in about 1790 for local Squire, Edward White, who then lived in the Hall. Originally a pair of cottages, a third was added together with a mock church tower and facade to give his neighbours "something to wonder at".

The village has two pubs, the Wheatsheaf and the White Horse but the Orange Box (formerly Waterloo House) closed some time ago. The Village shop is also now closed.

External links

  • Village website This website was launched March 20, 2010 and is updated throughout the month.

The website and monthly newsletter is run by a sub-committee that is independent to the Parish Council and is financed through selling advertisement space to local businesses.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.