World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Teatro della Pergola

Article Id: WHEBN0004239301
Reproduction Date:

Title: Teatro della Pergola  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Theatres in Florence, Macbeth (opera), Antonio Meucci, Fabio Campana, Florence
Collection: Music Venues Completed in 1656, Opera Houses in Italy, Theatres Completed in 1656, Theatres in Florence
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Teatro della Pergola

Exterior of the Teatro della Pergola

The Teatro della Pergola is a historic opera house in Florence, Italy. It is located in the centre of the city on the Via della Pergola, from which the theatre takes its name. It was built in 1656 under the patronage of Cardinal Gian Carlo de' Medici to designs by the architect Ferdinando Tacca, son of the sculptor Pietro Tacca; its inaugural production was the opera buffa, Il potestà di Colognole by Jacopo Melani.[1] The opera house, the first to be built with superposed tiers of boxes rather than raked semi-circular seating in the Roman fashion,[2] is considered to be the oldest in Italy, having occupied the same site for more than 350 years.

It has two auditoria, the Sala Grande, with 1,500 seats, and the Saloncino, a former ballroom located upstairs which has been used as a recital hall since 1804 and which seats 400.

Entrance foyer of the theatre,
redecorated in 1855-57
Poster for the premiere of Verdi's Macbeth

Work on completing the interior was finished in 1661, in time for the celebration of the wedding of the future grand duke Cosimo III de' Medici, with the court spectacle Ercole in Tebe by Giovanni Antonio Boretti. Primarily a court theatre used by the Grand Dukes of Tuscany, it was only after 1718 that it was opened to the public. In this theatre the great operas of Mozart were heard for the first time in Italy, and Donizetti’s Parisina and Rosmonda d'Inghilterra, Verdi’s Macbeth (1847) and Mascagni’s I Rantzau were given their premiere productions.

By the nineteenth century, La Pergola was performing operas of the best-known composers of the day including Vincenzo Bellini, Gaetano Donizetti and Giuseppe Verdi. Verdi's Macbeth was given its premiere performance at the Pergola in 1847.

The Pergola's present appearance dates from an 1855-57 remodelling; it has the traditional horseshoe-shaped auditorium with three rings of boxes and topped with a gallery. It seats 1,000. It was declared a national monument in 1925 and has been restored at least twice since.

Today the theatre presents a broad range of about 250 drama productions each year, ranging from Molière to Neil Simon. Opera is only presented there during the annual Maggio Musicale Fiorentino.

References

Notes

  1. ^ Spike Hughes , Great Opera Houses, London, 1956; the libretto was by Giovanni Andrea Moniglia (James Leve, ed. Il potestà di Colognole (Yale University Collegium Musicum 14) 2005, "introduction".
  2. ^ As in the Teatro Olimpico of Vicenza, designed by Andrea Palladio in the previous century.

Sources

  • Lynn, Karyl Charna, Italian Opera Houses and Festivals, Lanham, Maryland: The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 2005. ISBN 0-8108-5359-0
  • Plantamura, Carol, The Opera Lover's Guide to Europe, New York: Citadel Press, 1996. ISBN 0-8065-1842-1

External links

  • Teatro della Pergola's official website
  • Includes interior photograph
  • "Amici della Musica" regularly organize classical concerts, usually on Saturday and Sunday in the afternoon, at Teatro della Pergola


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.