World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Tervel (town)

For the village in Shumen Province, see Tervel (village).
Tervel
Тервел
Tervel
Tervel
Location of Tervel

Coordinates: 43°45′N 27°24′E / 43.750°N 27.400°E / 43.750; 27.400

Country Bulgaria
Provinces
(Oblast)
Dobrich
Government
 • Mayor Zhivko Georgiev
Population (December 2009)[1]
 • Total 6,667
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)
Postal Code 9450
Area code(s) 05751

Tervel (Bulgarian: Тервел, pronounced [ˈtɛrvɛl]) is a town in northeastern Bulgaria, part of Dobrich Province. It is the administrative centre of Tervel Municipality, which lies in the westernmost part of the province. As of December 2009, the town has a population of 6,667 inhabitants.[1]

History

The old Ottoman Turkish name of the town was Kurtbunar ("well of the wolves"): the village was first mentioned in Ottoman tax registers of 1673, although the area has been inhabited continuously since antiquity by the Getae tribe of Thracians, then the Slavs and the Bulgars, and constituted a part of the Bulgarian Empire during most of the Middle Ages. In 1878, Kurtbunar became part of the newly liberated Principality of Bulgaria and it was promoted to a district centre of Silistra County on 26 July 1882. The village was part of Romania along with all of Southern Dobruja between 1913 and 1940, and the name was rendered as Curtbunar. It was also a district centre of Durostor County under Romanian rule. The modern Bulgarian name honours Tervel of Bulgaria, a successful 8th-century Bulgarian monarch. The former village was proclaimed a town in January 1960.

Tervel has a museum opened in 1986. It features an ethnographic collection, an art gallery and an archaeological exposition, including a 3,500-year-old human skeleton.


References

External links

Coordinates: 43°45′N 27°24′E / 43.750°N 27.400°E / 43.750; 27.400


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.