World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

The Desert Sun

Article Id: WHEBN0007739728
Reproduction Date:

Title: The Desert Sun  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Palm Springs, California, John F. Kennedy Memorial Hospital, Indio, California, Eileen and Robert Mason Pollock, Home (Dierks Bentley song)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

The Desert Sun

The Desert Sun
Type Daily newspaper
Format Broadsheet
Owner(s) Gannett Company
Publisher Mark Winkler
Editor Greg Burton
Founded 1927
Headquarters 750 N. Gene Autry Trail
Palm Springs, CA
OCLC number 26432381
Website desertsun.com

The Desert Sun is a local daily newspaper serving Palm Springs and the Coachella Valley of Southern California.

It is owned by Gannett publications since 1988 and acquired the Indio Daily News in 1990 to become the sole local newspaper.

First issued on August 5, 1927, as a weekly six-page newspaper, The Desert Sun grew with the desert communities. It covers local, state, national and world news, and has developed a variety of sections over time.

The newspaper began to publish six days a week in 1948 and had their first Sunday edition on September 8, 1991. Their circulation to date is 50,000 and their distribution range is in regional communities from Beaumont to Twentynine Palms to the Salton Sea.

The Desert Sun's headquarters are in Palm Springs, in an office complex built in 1991 to replace a smaller building.

The Desert Sun publishes the Desert Post Weekly, a variety entertainment paper available on every Thursday in the distribution range, as well as city-specific publications The Indio Sun, The La Quinta Sun, The Palm Springs Weekend, The Palm Desert Sun and The Cathedral City Sun.

In 2010, the second page of the primary section is known as "7 by 7:30AM", to focus on the editor's selected seven most important stories of the day. The namesake was to estimate how long it takes to read the second page in half an hour (from 7:00 AM to 7:30 AM).

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.