World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Thompson Stadium (Staten Island)

Article Id: WHEBN0024717019
Reproduction Date:

Title: Thompson Stadium (Staten Island)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Yankee Stadium (1923), Shea Stadium, League Field, Newark Bears (AFL), Nash Field
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Thompson Stadium (Staten Island)

Thompson Stadium
Location Stapleton
Staten Island, New York
United States
Capacity NFL football: 8,000
Surface Grass
Construction
Opened c. 1920
Demolished 1958
Tenants
Staten Island Stapletons (NFL) (1924–1933)

Thompson Stadium was a football stadium located on Staten Island and used by the Staten Island Stapletons of the National Football League from 1924 until 1933. It was located on the site of present Berta A. Dreyfus Intermediate School 49 and the Stapleton Houses.

The stadium was built in the early 1920s by the wealthy owner of the local Thompson's Lumber Company. It was built against a hill in Staten Island's Stapleton neighborhood and doubled in summer as a home for semi-pro baseball. Inside its stockade fence, about 8,000 uncovered bleacher seats encircled the field. The field's locker rooms consisted of sheds standing just outside the fence. Stapletons owner, Dan Blaine, owned a restaurant which was located next door to the stadium, and after games and practices players and fans would meet up for beers.

While an average of 3,000 fans normally paid their way into each game, hundreds of others would usually watch the game for free from the hill behind the south end zone. Although far smaller than other NFL venues, like the Polo Grounds and Wrigley Field, Thompson's Stadium hosted four years of NFL football. The stadium was demolished in 1958.

References

  • New York Times FYI on the Stapletons


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.