World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Tongueland

Article Id: WHEBN0002307298
Reproduction Date:

Title: Tongueland  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Thomas Telford
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Tongueland


For the area of Glasgow, see Tongland (gang area).

Tongland is a small village about 2 miles north of Kirkcudbright, in Kirkcudbrightshire, within the District Council Region of Dumfries and Galloway, south west Scotland. It lies on the west bank of the Dee near its confluence with the Tarff Water.

It was also a Civil Parish Area in Kirkcudbrightshire, within the District Council Region of Dumfries and Galloway.

For information on the Civil Parish records see : [1]


History

Tongland Abbey, a medieval Premonstratensian monastic community, existed here during the Middle Ages. The remains of this may still be seen together with a church, which is in a state of disrepair. The Dee is crossed shortly downriver by Tongland Bridge, a stone arch bridge constructed in 1806 by Thomas Telford.

Since the 1930s, Tongland has been the site of a hydro-electric power station, part of the Galloway Hydro Electric Scheme. The station is open to visitors during the summer months. Slightly earlier, between 1921 and 1922 'Galloway' cars were made in Tongland in a First World War factory.

Since 2004, there have been several construction projects, with the site of a former garage now home to two new houses. There are also several more houses being constructed. In 2006, street lights were installed along the A711 which passes through the village.

Loch Mannoch

There are 3 burnt mounds at Loch Mannoch. [2]

Notable people

Joe Dobson, co-founder of Interflora was born in Tongland in 1875.

List of listed buildings

List of listed buildings in Tongland, Dumfries and Galloway

References

Coordinates: 54°51′49″N 4°01′51″W / 54.8637°N 4.0307°W / 54.8637; -4.0307


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.