World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Transfiguration Cathedral in Odessa

Article Id: WHEBN0027868711
Reproduction Date:

Title: Transfiguration Cathedral in Odessa  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Mikhail Semyonovich Vorontsov, Vladimir Lenin monument, Kiev, Second Opium War, List of destroyed heritage, Berlin Wall
Collection: 19Th-Century Eastern Orthodox Church Buildings, Buildings and Structures Demolished in 1936, Buildings and Structures in Odessa, Churches Completed in 1808, Demolished Churches in the Soviet Union, Demolished Churches in Ukraine, Eastern Orthodox Cathedrals in Ukraine, Former Churches in Ukraine, Neoclassical Architecture in Ukraine, Places of Worship in Odessa, Religious Buildings Completed in 1808, Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) Church Buildings, Visitor Attractions in Odessa
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Transfiguration Cathedral in Odessa

The Odessa Orthodox Cathedral is dedicated to the Saviour's Transfiguration and belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate).

The first and foremost church in the city of Odessa, the cathedral was founded in 1794 by Gavril Bănulescu-Bodoni. Construction lagged several years behind schedule when the newly appointed governor of New Russia, Armand-Emmanuel de Vignerot du Plessis, Duc de Richelieu, employed the Italian architect Francesco Frappoli to complete the edifice.

The cathedral was designated the main church of New Russia in 1808 and was continuously expanded throughout the 19th century. The belltower was built between 1825 and 1837, and the refectory connecting it to the main church several years later. The interior was lined with polychrome marble, and the icon screen also was of marble.

Several churches in the region, including the Nativity Cathedral in Chişinău, were built in conscious imitation of the Odessa church. The cathedral was the burial place of the bishops of Tauride (including Saint Innocent of Kherson) and Prince Mikhail Semyonovich Vorontsov, the famous governor of New Russia.

The original structure was demolished by the Soviets in 1936. It was rebuilt starting from 1999. The new cathedral was consecrated in 2003. The remains of Vorontsov and his wife were subsequently reburied in the cathedral. There is a statue of him on the cathedral square. The cathedral bells are controlled by an electronic device capable of playing 99 melodies.

External links

  • Official website
  • Transfiguration Cathedral (Odessa)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.