World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Tushino

Tushino (Russian: Ту́шино) is a former village and town to the north of Moscow, which has been part of the city's area since 1960. Between 1939 and 1960, Tushino was classed as a separate town. The Skhodnya River flows across the southern part of Tushino.
The camp at Tushino.

History

The village was attested since the late 14th century as an estate of boyar Vasili Ivanovich Kvashnin-Tusha and later his sons Pyotr and Semyon. In the middle of the 16th century, the village and the nearby Saviour Monastery were acquired by the Troitse-Sergiyeva Lavra. One of the finest of Russian tent-like churches was built in the monastery under Ivan the Terrible.

In the late 16th century, the monastery used to provide lodging for foreign diplomatic missions before their arrival in Moscow. During the Time of Troubles, False Dmitry II and his supporters settled in Tushino between 1608 and 1610. The Tushino camp was a replica of the Muscovite court, having its own prikazes and the Patriarch. From here, False Dmitry II was laying siege to the Moscow Kremlin.

In December of 1609, the Tushino Thief (as the impostor came to be known) and his wife Marina Mniszech fled from Tushino to Kaluga after losing Polish support. In 1610, the combined Russo-Swedish army of Mikhail Skopin-Shuisky and Jacob de La Gardie forced False Dmitry's supporters out of Tushino. Thereafter the monastery was disbanded, and the village declined.

In the second half of the 19th century, Tushino saw the first industrial enterprises, such as windmills and a textile mill. In the 1920s, they built Tushino Stocking Factory. In 1929, the Soviets established a flying school of the Osoaviakhim (Осоавиахим, which is short for the Society for Support of the Defense, Aviation, and Chemical Industries) and then Tushino Airfield with research facilities and aircraft factories next to Tushino.

The Tushino workers took an active part in the revolutionary movement: guards were created in 1905, and during the December fighting in Moscow (12 December), the terrorists made an unsuccessful attempt to discourage station Tushino train with weapons. After the suppression of the uprising in Moscow, a Cossack punitive expedition was sent to Tushino. In October 1917, local workers supported the Bolsheviks and the slogan "All Power to the Soviets": thus, the majority of workers was for this new government. At the Tushino-Guchkov Council Workers' and Soldiers' Deputies, a revolutionary committee was created , which with the help of the Red Guards seized control of the vicinity of the station; a significant number of local Red Guards took part in the October fighting in Moscow. 104 people were sent to Moscow from "Explorer" (factory). 17 Red factory Hutareva (ex. Suvirovoy) in Bratsevo returned after the fighting and found the factory gates closed. They arrested the owner, who fled. The result, however, was that in the early 20s until collectivization, factories did not work, except for Brattsevskoy.

A flight school was founded near Tushino in 1929, followed by a glider factory in 1930.

See also

Online references

  • South Tushino authority
  • North-West District of Moscow
  • Tushino airfield at Google maps

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.