World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Castle (DD-720)

Article Id: WHEBN0023134547
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Castle (DD-720)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Castle (disambiguation), Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Company
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Castle (DD-720)

Career
Name: USS Castle
Namesake: Guy W. S. Castle (1879-1919), a United States Navy officer and Medal of Honor recipient
Builder: Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, Newark, New Jersey
Laid down: 11 July 1945
Completed: Never
Commissioned: Never
Struck: 2 November 1954
Fate: Sold incomplete for scrapping 29 August 1955
Notes: Construction suspended when 60.3% complete
General characteristics
Displacement: 3460 tons (Full)
Length: 390 ft 6 in (119 m) (overall)
Beam: 40 ft 10 in (12.5 m)
Draft: 14 ft 4 in (4.4 m)
Propulsion: 60,000 shp (45 MW);
geared turbines;
2 propellers
Speed: 35 knots (65 km/h)
Range: 4,500 nmi. at 20 knots
(8,300 km at 37 km/h)
Complement: 336 officers and enlisted
Armament:   6 × 5 in.(127 mm)/38 guns,
12 × 40 mm AA guns,
11 × 20 mm AA guns,
10 × 21 in. torpedo tubes,
  6 × depth charge projectors,
  2 × depth charge tracks

USS Castle (DD-720) was a planned United States Navy Gearing-class destroyer laid down during World War II but never completed.

Castle was laid down on 11 July 1945 by the Federal Shipbuilding and Drydock Company at Newark, New Jersey. The end of World War II in August 1945 resulted in the termination of the contract for her construction on 11 December 1945. Although the award of the contract was reinstated, work on Castle was suspended on 11 February 1946. A little over five months later, on 18 July 1946, the Commandant, 3rd Naval District, was authorized to accept Castle in an uncompleted state.

Delivered as 60.3% complete, Castle was slated for scrapping in a Congressional resolution approved on 23 August 1954. Her name was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 2 November 1954, and she was sold for scrapping on 29 August 1955.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.