World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Chattanooga (1864)

Article Id: WHEBN0014658879
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Chattanooga (1864)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: George W. Melville
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Chattanooga (1864)

300px
Chattanooga as designed.
Career (US)
Name: USS Chattanooga
Namesake: Chattanooga
Builder: William Cramp and Sons,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Laid down: 1863
Launched: 13 October 1864
Commissioned: 16 May 1866
Decommissioned: 3 September 1866 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard
Fate: hulk sold, January 1872
General characteristics
Type: Wooden screw frigate
Displacement: 3,043 long tons (3,092 t)
Length: 315 ft (96.0 m) (Length of deck)
Beam: 46 ft (14.0 m)
Draught: 20 ft 6 in (6.2 m)
Installed power: 2,000 ihp (1,500 kW)
Propulsion: 1 shaft
2 × horizontal back-acting steam engines
8 × boilers
Sail plan: Ship rig
Speed: 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph)
Armament: 8 × 8-inch (203 mm) smoothbore Dahlgren guns
3 × 60-pounder Parrott rifles
For other ships of the same name, see USS Chattanooga.

USS Chattanooga was constructed during the final years of the American Civil War, but was not commissioned because the war was winding down in the Union’s favor. She was eventually placed into reserve until she was holed by ice in 1871.

Laid down during the Civil War


The first U.S. Navy ship to be so named, was built in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a screw steamer, was launched 13 October 1864 by William Cramp and Sons, and completed by the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Commissioned on 16 May 1866 with Captain J. P. McKinstry in command. The ship was named after the city of Chattanooga, Tennessee. After sea trials in August 1866, Chattanooga returned to the Philadelphia Navy Yard where she was decommissioned 3 September 1866. She remained inactive there and at League Island, where in December 1871 she was holed and sunk at her dock by floating ice. The hulk was sold in January 1872.

See also

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.