World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Dahlgren (DD-187)

Article Id: WHEBN0001647712
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Dahlgren (DD-187)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Walter Atlee Edwards, Charles R. Ware, List of destroyers of the United States Navy, USS Dahlgren, USS Paul Hamilton (DD-307)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Dahlgren (DD-187)

USS Dahlgren (DD-187) in 1931
History
United States
Namesake: John A. Dahlgren
Builder: Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company
Laid down: 8 June 1918
Launched: 20 November 1918
Commissioned: 6 January 1920
Decommissioned: 14 December 1945
Struck: 8 June 1946
Fate: sold 17 June 1946
General characteristics
Class & type: Clemson-class destroyer
Displacement: 1,190 tons
Length: 314 ft 5 in (95.83 m)
Beam: 31 ft 9 in (9.68 m)
Draft: 9 ft 4 in (2.84 m)
Propulsion:
  • 26,500 SHP (20 MW);
  • geared turbines,
  • 2 screws
Speed: 35 knots (65 km/h)
Range:
  • 4,900 nm (9,100 km)
  • @ 15 kn
Complement: 111 officers and enlisted
Armament:
  • 4 × 4 in./50 (102/50 mm),
  • 3 × 3 in./23 (76/23 mm),
  • 12 × 21 in (533 mm) torpedo tubes.

USS Dahlgren (DD-187/AG-91) was a Clemson-class destroyer which served in the United States Navy during World War II.

She was named for Rear Admiral John A. Dahlgren (1809–1870), and was the second ship of three which served in the US Navy to receive the name.

Dahlgren was launched 20 November 1918 by Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company, Newport News, Virginia; sponsored by Mrs. J. Pierce, daughter of Rear Admiral Dahlgren; and commissioned 6 January 1920, Commander L. Sahm in command.

Contents

  • Service history 1
    • World War II 1.1
  • References 2
  • External links 3

Service history

Dahlgren joined the Atlantic Fleet for exercises and training along the east coast, in Mexican waters, off Guantanamo Bay and in the Panama Canal Zone. She took part in the Presidential Fleet Review at Norfolk, Virginia in April 1921, and in bombing tests on former German ships off the Virginia coast that summer. On 30 June 1922, she was placed out of commission at Philadelphia.

Recommissioned 25 October 1932, Dahlgren stood out of Norfolk 7 November for San Diego, arriving 30 November. Destroyer operations engaged her along the west coast until April 1934 when fleet exercises brought her to the Atlantic. In January 1935 she returned to San Diego. After a period of similar operations on the west coast, she sailed again for the east on 1 July 1937, and having rescued the crew of a Coast Guard seaplane in passage, arrived at New York 21 July 1937. She served in engineering experiments until 14 June 1940.

World War II

Dahlgren during World War II.

Dahlgren sailed out of Norfolk and Newport, Rhode Island on patrols and escorted submarines in their training, and from January to 1 April 1941 she served in the Patuxent River, Maryland, in experiments in ordnance and submarine detection. Through the summer of 1941, she tested a variable-pitch propeller, and subsequently escorted a new cruiser during her trials. On 4 January 1942, Dahlgren arrived at Key West to escort Washington in operations in the Gulf of Mexico. She returned to New York 8 February for a brief period of coastal patrol, and on 24 March sailed to Key West to serve the Fleet Sonar School and carry out patrols. During these operations, she rescued 57 survivors of Pennsylvania Sun on 15 July 1942, and nine survivors of K-74 on 19 July 1943.

On 11 January 1945, Dahlgren arrived at Charleston, South Carolina to operate with submarines in training until 1 March, when she was reclassified AG-91. She served the Mine Warfare Test Station at Solomons Island, Maryland, until 16 November 1945 when she moored at Philadelphia Navy Yard. There she was decommissioned 14 December 1945, and sold 17 June 1946.

References

External links

  • Dahlgrennavsource.org: USS
  • Dahlgrenhazegray.org: USS
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.