World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Vahanavank is located in Armenia
Shown within Armenia
Basic information
Location Near Kapan, Syunik Province, Armenia
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Armenian Apostolic Church
Architectural description
Architectural style Armenian
Completed 10th-11th centuries

Vahanavank (Armenian: Վահանավանք) is a 10th-11th century Armenian monastic complex located approximately 5 kilometers west of the town of Kapan in the Syunik Province of Armenia, situated at the foot of Tigranasar mountain along the right bank of the Voghdji River.

The monastery was built over a Bronze Age grave field (13.-11. BCE) by Prince Vahan Nakhashinogh, of which it gets its namesake, the son of Prince Gagik of Kapan in the early 10th century. The Armenian historian Stepanos Orbelian (c. 1250 – 1305) wrote that the prince had taken on a monk's robe and lifestyle to cure himself of demonic possession. In the year 911, Prince Vahan gathered 100 like-minded clerics and built the church of Surb Grigor Lusavorich. It is the oldest among the structures at Vahanavank. The church is a domed hall like building with a main temple and a pair of sacristies. The drum rises on huge steeple rocks. The church has a west and south entrance. Prince Vahan was buried near the door to the church.

A spiritual school was opened at the monastery where young boys from Baghk and other provinces studied. Prince Vahan Nakhashinogh's nephew Vahan Jevanshir II, was educated at the monastery and rose to become the Bishop of Syunik around 940 and then Catholicos around the year 960. During his reign he built many great monuments, many of which remain in ruins.

The vestibule and portico first half of the 10th century. The latter stretches to the south of the church and the narthex. Kings and princes of Syunik are buried here. The cornices of the vestibule are decorated with vegetal and animal ornamental motives which border the southern and northern walls.

Vahanavank became the religious center for the kings of Syunik in the 11th century. In 1086, Queen Shahandukht II of Syunik and her sister Katan built the church of Surb Astvatsatsin as a burial site for her and her relatives. They also constructed the southern entrance to the monastery as well as the vestibule to S. Astvatsatsin.

There are other structures, household buildings, khachkars and tombstones that date back to the 10th –11th centuries as well.

In 1978 restoration efforts began at the monastery and in 1990 they ended before their completion.



External links

  • Vahanavank
  • Syunik Regional Website: Vahanavank
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.