World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Bangiya Sahitya Parishad

Facade of Bangiya Sahitya Parishad building
Bangiya Sahitya Parishad
6 December 1908

Bangiya Sahitya Parishad (Bengali: বঙ্গীয় সাহিত্য পরিষদ) is a literary society in Bengal. Established during the time of the Raj, its goal is to promote Bengali literature, both by translating works in other languages to Bengali and promoting the production of original Bengali literature.

History

The organisation was founded by L. Leotard and Kshetrapal Chakraborty in 1893. Then it was known as 'The Bengal Academy of Literature'. On 29 April 1894, the name of the society itself was changed to 'Vangiya Sahitya Parishad'. 1894 saw the first officers, with Romesh Chunder Dutt as the first president and Rabindranath Tagore and Navinchandra Sen as vice presidents.[1] That same year saw the first publication of the society's journal, previously in English as most business of the society was, in Bengali. 1900 saw Rabindranath Tagore's brother, Satyendranath Tagore, made President. The society, which moved into its permanent home in 1909, rapidly expanded to over 30 branch offices. Its notable members have included Debendra Prasad Ghosh, Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar, Romesh Chunder Dutt and Ramendra Sundar Tribedi.

References

  1. ^ "Vangiya Sahitya Parishad", Banglapedia.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.