World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Verney Junction

Article Id: WHEBN0000387793
Reproduction Date:

Title: Verney Junction  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Granborough Road railway station, Transport in Buckinghamshire, Quainton, Aylesbury Vale, List of places in Buckinghamshire
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Verney Junction

Verney Junction is a hamlet in the parish of Middle Claydon in north Buckinghamshire, England. It is on a disused railway line near Claydon House.

The stone cottages that make up the hamlet were largely constructed to provide houses for workers on the railway in the early Victorian era. The hamlet is named after the Verney family of Claydon House. The new village included a cricket ground for the railway workers.

Until 1936 Verney Junction railway station was the northern outpost of the Metropolitan Railway from Baker Street. It was the junction of that line with the Buckinghamshire Railway between Bletchley and Banbury (opened 1850) with a later line added from Verney Junction to Oxford (opened 1851). It was this later route that formed part of the "Varsity Line" from Oxford to Cambridge, and legend has it that the station was so called because the then isolation of the area meant that the only obvious name was that of the local landowner.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.