World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Via de' Tornabuoni

Article Id: WHEBN0023366607
Reproduction Date:

Title: Via de' Tornabuoni  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Florence, Piazza Santa Trinita, List of squares in Florence, Italian fashion, Palazzo Spini Feroni
Collection: Shopping Districts and Streets in Italy, Streets of Florence
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Via de' Tornabuoni

View of Via de' Tornabuoni.
Via de' Tornabuoni with Palazzo Strozzi.

Via de' Tornabuoni, or Via Tornabuoni, is a street at the center of Florence, Italy, that goes from Antinori square to ponte Santa Trinità, across Santa Trinità square, characterized by the presence of fashion boutiques.

The street houses high fashion boutiques, belonging to stylists such as Gucci, Salvatore Ferragamo, Enrico Coveri, Roberto Cavalli, Emilio Pucci and others; also boutiques of jewelry are here such as Damiani, Bulgari and Buccellati.

History

The road was once crossed by the city's Roman walls; in the early Middle Ages, it ran along the Mugnone river. Near the current Palazzo Strozzi was the Brancazio Gate. With the 12th century enlargement of the walls, the stream was diverted and the road widened. At the time, it had different names, including Via Larga dei Legnaiuoli and Via dei Belli Sporti.

After the creation of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany in the 16th century, via de' Tornabuoni was the seat of the processions from Palazzo Pitti to via Maggio and Ponte Santa Trinità, as well as pallone col bracciale matches, Calcio Fiorentino games and horse races. In 1565 it received a porphyry column which still characterizes it.

Via de' Tornabuoni once housed the Casoni Cafè, where, in 1920, the Negroni cocktail was invented by Camillo Negroni.

Buildings

Historical buildings on Via Tornabuoni include:

East side starting from Arno:

West side starting from Arno:

The Street

In Piazza degli Antinori (Antinori Square), adjacent to the northern terminus of Via Tornabuoni, are the following buildings:

Sources

  • Maffei, Gianluigi (1995). Via Tornabuoni, il salotto di Firenze (in Italian). Florence: Loggia dei Lanzi editori.  


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.