Villa María and Rufino Railway

The Villa María and Rufino Railway (VM&R) was a British-owned company that, towards the end of the 19th century, built and operated a broad gauge, , railway line in Argentina, where it was known as the Ferrocarril Villa María a Rufino (FCVMR).

The VM&R was granted a concession on 15 August 1887 to construct a 227 km line between Villa María in Córdoba Province, on the Central Argentine Railway (CA), and Rufino in Santa Fe Province, on the Buenos Aires and Pacific Railway (BA&P). The section between Villa María and La Carlota was opened on 26 October 1890 and from La Carlota to Rufino on 23 March 1891.

The line passed through the developing grain zone, which lay between the main lines operated by the BA&P and the CA, and became a valuable feeder for the former railway. At that time the VM&R provided farmers situated along its route with their only direct access to the port and market of Buenos Aires.

Because of their common interests the VM&R and the BA&P forged close links until finally, in 1900, the BA&P took over the VM&R.

References

  • Colin M. Lewis, British Railways in Argentina 1857-1914: A Case Study of Foreign Investment, Athlone Press (for the Institute of Latin American Studies, University of London), 1983.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.