World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Villa Medicea L'Ambrogiana

Article Id: WHEBN0042170065
Reproduction Date:

Title: Villa Medicea L'Ambrogiana  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Villa di Castello, Medici villas, Via Camillo Cavour, Torre degli Alberti, Torre degli Amidei
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Villa Medicea L'Ambrogiana

The Villa L'Ambrogiana was a rural palace or villa built during the late-renaissance by Ferdinand I de' Medici; it is located at the confluence of the rivers Pesa and Arno.

Utens' lunette of L'Ambrogiana (circa 1600)
Villa Medicea dell'Ambrogiana

History

It was built in 1587, putatively using designs of Bernardo Buontalenti, and built over a pre-existing structure. In the 19th century, the Leopold II converted the villa into a mental asylum. In 1886, it was converted into a jail for women and minors, and later into a jail for those judged mentally ill. The Villa and grounds in the 17th century were used by Francesco Redi for anatomic studies of leprosy, and by Andrea Scacciati and Bartolomeo Bimbi to create paintings of flora and fauna for the Grand-Duke Cosimo III de' Medici.

Still in use as an institution for psychiatric illness, guided visits to parts of the building can be requested.[1]

References

  1. ^ Itinerari Scientifici in Toscana entry on the villa].


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.