World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Warner Scarab

Article Id: WHEBN0006070114
Reproduction Date:

Title: Warner Scarab  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Fairchild 24, Loening XSL, Pratt & Whitney R-2060 Yellow Jacket, Packard X-2775, Chrysler IV-2220
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Warner Scarab

Scarab
Preserved Warner Scarab
Type Radial engine
Manufacturer Warner Aircraft Corporation
First run November 1927

The Warner Scarab is an American seven-cylinder radial aircraft engine, that was manufactured by the Warner Aircraft Corporation of Detroit, Michigan in 1928 through to the early 1940s. In military service the engine was designated R-420.

Variants

Scarab S-50
A 7-cyl. air-cooled radial engine introduced in 1928. With a bore and stroke of 4.25 inches and a compression ratio of 5.2:1, the Scarab developed 125 hp (93 kW) at 2,050 rpm from 422 cu in (7 l) with a dry weight of 285 lb (129 kg).
Scarab Junior
A 5-cyl. version introduced in 1930 developing 90 hp (67 kW) at 2125 rpm from 301 cu in (5 l) with a dry weight of 230 lb (104 kg).
The R-500-7 Super Scarab model 165 displayed at Museo dell'Aria e dello Spazio in San Pelagio, Due Carrare, Province of Padua.
Super Scarab SS-50/50A
Increased cylinder bore to 4.625 inches to develop 145 hp (108 kW) at 2,050 rpm from 499 cu in (8 l) with a dry weight of 303 lb (137 kg).
Super Scarab SS-165
Increased compression ratio from 5.2:1 to 6.4:1 to develop 165 hp (123 kW) at 2,100 rpm with a dry weight of 341 lb (155 kg).
Super Scarab SS-185
Increased cylinder bore to 4.875 inches, developing 185 hp (138 kW) at 2175 rpm from 555 cu in (9 l), with a dry weight of 344 lb (156 kg).
R-420
Military designation of the Scarab.
R-500
Military designation of the Super Scarab 165.
R-550
Military designation of the Super Scarab 185.
145
Alternative designation for the Warner Super Scarab SS-50/50A .
165
Alternative designation for the Warner Super Scarab 165 .
185
Alternative designation for the Warner Super Scarab 185 (Primarily a helicopter application).

Applications

Amongst the many uses for the Scarab, the engine was fitted to the Cessna Airmaster and the Fairchild 24 (UC61 or Argus). Notably, in 1942, it was put into use powering the Sikorsky R-4, the first helicopter to be put into production.

Many of these reliable engines soldier on today, still powering the aircraft to which they were originally mounted. The Warner 145 and 165 HP engines are the most commonly seen of the small radials for US-built pre-WWII era aircraft, in large part because of good parts availability due to the engines having been used on WWII Fairchild UC61s and Meyers OTWs.

Warner engines are also in demand as realistically sized, though far more powerful, replacement powerplants for many replica or restored World War I era airplanes which were originally fitted with rotary engines.

Application list

Specifications (Scarab 50)

Warner Scarab engine advertisement for 1928 in Aero Digest


See also

Related development
Comparable engines
Related lists

References

  • Oldengine.org - US Aero Engine data page

External links

  • Transcribed manual
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.