World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Wigmore Abbey

Article Id: WHEBN0004388537
Reproduction Date:

Title: Wigmore Abbey  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Roger Mortimer, 1st Earl of March, Roger Mortimer, 4th Earl of March, List of monastic houses in England, Burial sites of the Mortimer family, Ancrene Wisse
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Wigmore Abbey

Wigmore Abbey Parish is a parish with nine village churches in northwest Herefordshire.

Remains of Wigmore Abbey.

Wigmore Abbey was an Augustinian abbey with a grange, from 1179 to 1530, situated about a mile (2 km) north of the village of Wigmore, Herefordshire, England. Only ruins of the abbey now remain.

History of the abbey

The abbey was contemplated by Ranulph de Mortimer in the reign of Henry I, but only brought to fruition by his son, Hugh de Mortimer who had the abbey consecrated at Wigmore in 1179 in the parish of Leintwardine by Robert Foliot the Bishop of Hereford. The construction of the abbey was also assisted by other local landowners especially Brian de Brampton and his John, who contributed building materials from their woods and quarries. The abbey had been some thirty years in moving through various sites in Northern Herefordshire before this final consecration. In this it was one of the most moved foundations in the country having been settled during these years occasionally at Shobdon, Llanthony priory and Lye or Eye as it has been written.

At the time it has been suggested that this was the largest monastery in the county, followed by Abbey Dore and Leominster Priory.

The first abbot was Simon Merlymond

The abbey church, like the church at Wigmore, was dedicated to St. James. As they were the principal patrons of the abbey, many members of the Mortimer family were buried there, among them five Earls of March.

The abbey continued to flourish until the period of the dissolution of the monasteries in 1530, when it was destroyed. The remains of the building were given to Sir T. Palmer.

Wigmore Abbey is thought to be the place of origin of a manuscript outlining its own history and founding, as well as the lineage of Roger Mortimer, whose father Edmund petitioned Parliament (successfully) to be named heir to the throne in 1374. His claim was ignored by King Henry IV's succession. The manuscript concerning the Mortimers and the foundation of Wigmore Abbey is now housed at the University of Chicago. Another chronicle has been lost, but copies of the beginning and the end of this have survived in Manchester and Dublin.

Burials

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.