World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Wrocław Medical University

Article Id: WHEBN0000446709
Reproduction Date:

Title: Wrocław Medical University  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Andrzej Szczeklik, Health care in Poland, Wrocław
Collection: Schools of Medicine in Poland, Universities and Colleges in Wrocław
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Wrocław Medical University

Wrocław Medical University
Uniwersytet Medyczny im. Piastów Śląskich we Wrocławiu
Latin: Universitas Medicus Vratislaviensis
Established 1950
Type Public
Rector prof. dr hab. Marek Ziętek
Students 5915
Location Wrocław, Poland
Website www.am.wroc.pl

Wrocław Medical University (pol. Uniwersytet Medyczny we Wrocławiu, lat. Universitas Medicus Vratislaviensis) is an institution of higher medical education in Wrocław, Poland.

Contents

  • General Introduction 1
  • History 2
  • Rectors 3
  • Faculties 4
  • External links 5

General Introduction

The Wrocław Medical University consists of 5 faculties: Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Public Health and Postgraduate Education. The total number of chairs and clinics is 107. Altogether, 891 academic professors and teachers work at the Medical University and about 3 500 students continue their studies.

Wrocław Medical University has 22 international agreements of co-operation signed with other universities abroad. There is a wide exchange of students and teaching staff within the framework of the Socrates/Erasmus programme of the European Union, especially with France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Spain, Netherlands and England.

Wrocław is a city with a rich medical tradition. The first hospital was founded in the 13th century. Medicine was first taught in 1745 by the establishment of the Collegium Medico-Chirurgicum. It was the first medical school in the city. Many famous doctors lived and worked in Wroclaw such as Alois Alzheimer - neurologist and psychiatrist, who presented his findings regarding degeneration of the brain cortex (Alzheimer's Disease), Robert Koch - creator of modern bacteriology (Nobel Prize in 1905), Paul Erlich - pioneer of present chemotherapy (Nobel Prize in 1908).

At present Wrocław is an active centre of medical student education. The process of teaching is realised by a team of highly qualified specialists. The Medical University also performs a wide range of scientific activities and provides the whole region of Lower Silesia with highly specialised medical care.

Historically, the city's strategic location between branches of the slow running Odra River, which forms many islands in the area, was utilised in the Middle Ages when Wroclaw was turned into a fortress. In early modern times, the system of defence was expanded. It is seen now as fortifications, surrounding its historical centre of original architecture. At the end of the Second World War, 70% of the town was destroyed. A great effort was needed to restore and rebuild the university buildings.

History

The Faculty of Medicine is the oldest and largest faculty of Wroclaw Medical University. It was established on November 14, 1945, as one of the six faculties of Wroclaw’s University and Technical University. The opening lecture was given by Ludwik Hirszfeld. The scientific staff consisted mainly of professors from the Jan Kazimierz University in Lvov. In 1950, the Wroclaw Medical University was established, consisting of the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Pharmacy. Since then, 16,068 medical doctors and 4715 dentists have graduated. On February 12, 1958, Prof. Wiktor Bross was the fi rst in Poland to perform open heart surgery, which he did at the Faculty of Medicine, and on March 31, 1966, he performed the first kidney transplant from a living donor. These achievements were significant in European medicine. A great number of prominent scientists have conducted research at the Faculty of Medicine, including Professors Ludwik Hirszfeld, Zygmunt Albert, Edward Szczeklik, Witold Orłowski, Stefan Ślopek and Hugon and Zofia Kowarzyk.

Two new faculties, the Faculty of Postgraduate Medical Training in 1992 and Faculty of Dentistry in 2000, were created based on the organisational structure and lecturing staff of the Faculty of Medicine. After these changes, the Faculty of Medicine assumed more of the educational duties of the University. In 2002 the Faculty received the PE-EN ISO 9001 certificate for its educational and research programs in accordance with the standards defined by the Polish Centre for Testing and Certification.

Rectors

Faculties

  • [Faculty of Medicine]
  • [Faculty of Dentistry]
  • [Faculty of Postgraduate Medical Training]
  • [Faculty of Pharmacy]
  • [Faculty of Health Science]

External links

  • Web site (english version)
  • English Division of the University
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.