World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Wyman Park, Baltimore

Article Id: WHEBN0023343144
Reproduction Date:

Title: Wyman Park, Baltimore  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lakeland, Baltimore, Sherwood Gardens, Rosemont, Baltimore, Waverly, Baltimore, Morrell Park, Baltimore
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Wyman Park, Baltimore

The community of Wyman Park is a border community that links Hampden to Roland Park. All of the Wyman Park area was annexed to Baltimore City in 1888. The general boundaries consist of the area from south to north between 33rd Street and 40th Streets and west to east from Keswick Road to Wyman Park. South of 40th Street, garden apartments, multi-story apartment buildings and single-family residences have been built. People here tend to relate to the north along 40th Street and University Parkway and The Johns Hopkins University. The Wyman Park also accommodates the Union Soldiers and Sailors Monument, located at 29th and Charles Street.

Throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, this land remained attached to large rural estates, and the only settlement of note occurred in the adjacent Stony Run valley. Here, along the stream's west bank, two flour mills once operated. It is believed that one mill, Ensor's, was located opposite 36th Street.

In the 1870s the Swan Lake Narrow Gauge Railroad (later called the Baltimore and Lehigh, and still later, the Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad) was built along Stony Run. In the last quarter of the nineteenth century a popular tavern, known as Biddy Rice's Saloon, operated along the tracks opposite Bottle Hill, upon which sits the present-day Tudor Arms Apartments.

Most construction took place in the 1920s and continued into the 1960s with the development of several small garden apartments. In addition, Keswick Nursing Home north of 40th Street has expanded, while next door Roland Park Place has replaced the Roland Park Country School. To the east The Johns Hopkins University has slowly expanded into Wyman Park, and some of the open space has disappeared.

Steiff Silver building

The Steiff Silver building, located on Wyman Park Drive in the Wyman Park neighborhood, is the former headquarters of Steiff Silver Company. Founded in a small shop on Redwood Street in 1914 by silversmith Charles Steiff, the company built its Wyman Park plant in 1925. Its name was changed to Kirk Steiff Company in 1979. The company's operations in Baltimore were discontinued in 1999. After renovations from 2000 to 2001, the building was converted into office space in 2002. It is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.[1][2]

See also

List of Baltimore neighborhoods


  1. ^ Jamie Stiehm (January 17, 2002). "Steiff Silver building gains a new purpose". The Baltimore Sun. 
  2. ^ Marsha Wight Wise (2009). Baltimore Neighborhoods. Arcadia Publishing. p. 38.  

External links

  • History of Wyman Park
  • Live Baltimore

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.