World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Zirkow

Article Id: WHEBN0013235900
Reproduction Date:

Title: Zirkow  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Rügen, List of dialling codes in Germany, Brakel, Germany, Putbus, Binz
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Zirkow

Zirkow

Church of Zirkow
Zirkow
Zirkow

Coordinates: 54°23′N 13°32′E / 54.383°N 13.533°E / 54.383; 13.533Coordinates: 54°23′N 13°32′E / 54.383°N 13.533°E / 54.383; 13.533

Country Germany
State Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
District
Municipal assoc.
Area
 • Total 25.62 km2 (9.89 sq mi)
Elevation 25 m (82 ft)
Population (2012-12-31)[1]
 • Total 655
 • Density 26/km2 (66/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 18528
Dialling codes 038301, 038393
Vehicle registration RÜG
Website www.amt-moenchgut.de

Zirkow is a municipality on the German Baltic Sea island of Rügen in the county of Vorpommern-Rügen in the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.

Geography

Zirkow lies in the Southeast Rügen Biosphere Reserve between the small town of Putbus and the Baltic Sea resort of Binz. In the northeast it borders on the lake of Schmachter See near Binz.

Municipal divisions

Within the municipality of Zirkow are the following villages: Alt Süllitz, Dalkvitz, Nistelitz, Pantow, Schmacht, Serams and Viervitz.

History

The village of Zirkow was first documented in 1495. The place name comes from the Slavic Sirakov and means "place of Sirak".

To 1326 the area was part of the Principality of Rügen and, thereafter, the Duchy of Pomerania.

Under the Treaty of Westphalia in 1648 Rügen, and thus Zirkow, came under Swedish rule, having previously belonged to the Duchy of Pomerania. In 1815 the parish, along with West Pomerania, went into the Prussian Province of Pomerania.

In 1818, Zirkow became part of the county of Landkreis Rügen, apart from a short spell from 1952 to 1955 when it was in the County of Putbus. It remained until 1990 in Kreis Rügen in the district of Rostock and became, in the same year, part of the state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. From 1990, the county was renamed Landkreis Rügen until 2011 when it became part of the new county of Vorpommern-Rügen.

Sights

  • Brick church with a fieldstone base from the 1st half of the 15th century, see St. John's Church, Zirkow
  • Historic village centre with protected thatched timber-framed houses
  • Museum farm with the Rügenhaus
  • Schmachter See and Fangerien Nature Reserve
  • Hill of Rügener Jungfrau ("Rügen Virgin"), the so-called Busenberge ("bosom hills")

References

External links

  • Official website of Zirkow

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.