World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0000118760
Reproduction Date:

Title: Zundert  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Theo van Gogh (art dealer), Vincent van Gogh, Wuustwezel, Etten-Leur, Rucphen
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Zundert city hall in 2010
Zundert city hall in 2010
Flag of Zundert
Coat of arms of Zundert
Coat of arms
Highlighted position of Zundert in a municipal map of North Brabant
Location in North Brabant
Country Netherlands
Province North Brabant
 • Body Municipal council
 • Mayor Leny Poppe-de Looff (CDA)
 • Total 121.17 km2 (46.78 sq mi)
 • Land 120.78 km2 (46.63 sq mi)
 • Water 0.39 km2 (0.15 sq mi)
Elevation[3] 12 m (39 ft)
Population (May 2014)[4]
 • Total 21,555
 • Density 178/km2 (460/sq mi)
Demonym(s) Zundertenaar, Zundernaar
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postcode 4880–4891
Area code 076
Website .nl.zundertwww

Zundert (Dutch pronunciation: ) is a municipality and town in the province of Noord Brabant in the south of the Netherlands.


Zundert in 1865

The origin of the town of Zundert is like that of many others, very unclear. The name is first encountered in a certificate dating from 1157, in which the Bishop of Liege, confirms a donation from the place "Sunderda". This Sunderda actually relates to the current settlement of Klein-Zundert (literally translated as Small-Zundert), which was one of the first settlements in the area. The monks there, besides their religious labour, were also involved in the clearing of the land, that was still rough territory, filled with swamps, peats and heathland fields. The monks also helped improve agricultural methods.

Zundert is still surrounded by a rural environment with beautiful nature areas, one of them is the "Buissche Heide", a magnificent heathland area with unique walking possibilities. The Kalmthoutse Heide, across the border with Belgium, is also in the vicinity.

Zundert, Achtmaal, Wernhout and Klein-Zundert were liberated on October 27, Rijsbergen on October 28. Achtmaal was liberated by the 415th Infantry Regiment of the US 104th (Timberwolf) Infantry Division, Zundert and Klein-Zundert by the 413th Infantry Regiment of the 104th (Timberwolf) Infantry Division, and Wernhout and Rijsbergen by the 414th Infantry Regiment of the 104th (Timberwolf) Infantry Division.

At a small distance from the town, an old tavern called "In Den Anker" can be found, which has the oldest license in the Netherlands. It originally dates from 1635, but was rebuilt in 1913.


Topographic map of Zundert, Sept. 2014

The municipality of Zundert contains the following places:

Zundert lies about 12 metres (39 ft) above Dutch sea level (NAP), and is located 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) south-west of the city of Breda, and 35 kilometres (22 mi) north-east of Antwerp, Belgium. Zundert is surrounded by the municipalities Etten-Leur and Breda on the north, Hoogstraten (Belgium) on the east, Wuustwezel (Belgium) on the south, Kalmthout (Belgium) on the southwest, and Essen (Belgium) and Rucphen on the west.

Zundert is one of the most agricultural municipalities of the Netherlands. 10% of all nursery production of the Netherlands is around Zundert. Production of strawberries and young field grown trees and hedging plants is very important in the area.


The Roman Catholic church of Zundert, dedicated to Saint Trudo, was built in 1927, and contains art treasures from the 17th century, coming from the St. Michielsabdij in Antwerp. These treasures consist of marble altar tables, three Alabaster sculptures, several paintings and two carved oaken confessionals. The church itself was designed by Jan Stuyt, a pupil of the famous architect Pierre Cuypers. Stuyt also designed the church of nearby Klein-Zundert in the same municipality.

The town hall of Zundert was built in 1830 in neoclassical style and demolished and rebuilt in the same style in 1965.


Zundert is the home of a 17th-century windmill, called 'De Akkermolen' (The Croftmill). It is said to have been originally built in 1652. It is a standard mill, and it was built to process grain.

The mill had numerous private owners in the past, including stadtholder Willem V, as the Baron of Breda, who became owner in 1794. In the early 1900s the mill was owned by Wilhelmus van der Stappen.

The mill was heavily damaged in 1950, and its existence was threatened several occasions after that. The Akkermolen is currently owned by the municipality of Zundert, which bought it in 1959, the last private owners being the Herijgers family. After the mill was taken over by Zundert, it needed serious restoration, which took place in 1961. Another restoration took place in 1991, but then, the entire mill needed to be taken apart and restored.

The Akkermolen can be visited, after arranging an appointment at Akkermolenweg 15.

The town had other mills in the past, one of them was a stone-mill called "De Eendracht", which stood on Moleneind, currently known as Poteind. It burned down on January 23, 1909. The owner at the time;Jaak Theeuwis, had already lost a wooden mill in Zundert, which was blown down in the previous year of 1908. A store called "de Boerenbond" is now located on the former mills location.

Vincent van Gogh

Van Gogh House in 2009.
Sculpture of Theo and Vincent van Gogh by Ossip Zadkine. The Dutch Reformed church is in the background.

Zundert is the birthplace and childhood home of the famous painter Vincent van Gogh. He was born on 30 March 1853 in a little house on Zundert's main street, "Markt 29". The former house is gone as it was too dilapidated to preserve, but a plaque at this location still commemorates his birth. In May 2007 the renovation of the house at Markt 29, and the neighbouring house, started. After the renovation, the Vincent van Gogh house was opened in August 2008.

People can still visit the Dutch Reformed church built in 1806 in which the father of Vincent, Theodorus van Gogh, started preaching in 1849. In the graveyard is the grave of Vincent's one year older brother, who died soon in infancy - also called Vincent van Gogh. Vincent did not paint when he lived in Zundert, but drew some sketches. In letters to his Brother Theo, Vincent recalls Zundert, and its surroundings a few times when writing about childhood, serenity and learning about life. Because he died in the French town of Auvers-sur-Oise, on 29 July 1890, a special relation between these two places exists. This can, for example, be noticed by the existence of a slightly hidden Auvers-sur-Oise Street, ending at the Van Gogh Square.

To keep Vincent's memory alive, the municipality of Zundert started the project of realising a Vincent van Gogh house. Rather than a classical museum, it is an active environment, with a presentation about van Gogh's life, interactive education, a documentation room and also permanent and temporary expositions. Tourist information is also located in the building, as well as a pleasant bar with a garden terrace.

There is a bronze monument made by the French artist Ossip Zadkine of Vincent and his brother Theo on the "Vincent van Gogh Plein" (Vincent van Gogh square), as a tribute to the great artist van Gogh. It was unveiled on 28 May 1964 by the former Dutch queen Juliana. The statue is an intriguing abstracted representation of Vincent's connection with his brother Theo.

There are several activities relating to Vincent van Gogh, you can go to tourist information Zundert about participating in these activities, which is in the Vincent van Gogh house, opposite the town hall.

Flower parade

Bloemencorso Zundert is the oldest (since 1936) and hugely elaborate flower parade in Europe, held on first Sunday in September. Depending on the weather, at least 50.000 people attend. Huge, and often impressive lorry mounted sculptures covered in thousands of dahlia flowers parade through the town. Each of the competing districts of Zundert construct their own entry.


  1. ^
  2. ^
  3. ^
  4. ^

External links

  • Media related to at Wikimedia Commons
  • Official website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.