World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

University Hall (harvard University)

Article Id: WHEBN0010448220
Reproduction Date:

Title: University Hall (harvard University)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: University and college buildings on the National Register of Historic Places in Massachusetts, Harvard Square, Harvard University, Harvard Business Press, Boston Medical Library
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

University Hall (harvard University)

University Hall, Harvard University
University Hall, east facade.
University Hall (Harvard University) is located in Massachusetts
University Hall (Harvard University)
Location Cambridge, Massachusetts
Built 1813-1815
Architect Charles Bulfinch
Architectural style Colonial Revival, Federal
Governing body Harvard University
Part of Old Harvard Yard (#73000287)
NRHP Reference # 70000736[1]
Significant dates
Added to NRHP December 30, 1970
Designated NHL December 30, 1970
Designated CP February 6, 1973
John Harvard statue before west facade.

University Hall is a white granite building designed by the great early American architect Charles Bulfinch. It is located in Harvard Yard on the campus of Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It is now a National Historic Landmark.

The hall was designed by Bulfinch, class of 1781, and built between 1813-15 of white Chelmsford granite, probably using rock cut to size at the Charlestown Prison. It consists of a partial basement story, plus three full stories raised above ground as well as an additional story set within the roofline. The long east and west facades are very similar, and symmetrically arranged with two entrances per facade, each flanked by pilasters; smaller north and south facades present rows of windows. Total construction cost was $65,000 of which $53,000 was paid by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

University Hall, west facade in 1869.

University Hall's first floor contained the College Commons (dining room) until 1849. The building also contained a library and philosophical (scientific) apparatus, as well as a chapel within the second and third floors. A massive portico with stone pillars was added to the western facade soon after completion, but removed in 1842. In 1849 the first floor was partitioned into classrooms, then in 1867 the chapel was partitioned as well. In 1896 the chapel was restored and used for meetings of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. In 1924 Daniel Chester French's bronze statue of John Harvard was moved to the western façade from its original location near Memorial Hall.

In 1969, Harvard students took over the hall and occupied it for 18 hours in protest of Harvard's stance on the Vietnam War. The demonstration ended only when Massachusetts state police arrived to remove the students from the building.[2]

See also


  1. ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places.  
  2. ^ Flow, Christian (2007-06-06). "1969 Still a Memory". The Harvard Crimson. Archived from the original on 2011-07-23. Retrieved 2011-07-23. 
  • William Garrott Brown, Official Guide to Harvard University, Harvard Memorial Society, 1899, page 23.
  • Douglass Shand-Tucci, Harvard University: Campus Guide, Princeton Architectural Press, 2001, pages 22–23. ISBN 1-56898-280-1.
  • Bainbridge Bunting, Margaret Henderson Floyd, Harvard: An Architectural History, Harvard University Press, 1985. ISBN 0-674-37290-5.
  • Harvard Magazine article
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.