World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0021842543
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sztynort  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Manor house, Heinrich Graf von Lehndorff-Steinort, Veruschka von Lehndorff, E11 European long distance path
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia



Lehndorff Palace

Coordinates: 54°7′54″N 21°41′5″E / 54.13167°N 21.68472°E / 54.13167; 21.68472

Country Poland Poland
Voivodeship Warmian-Masurian
County Węgorzewo
Gmina Węgorzewo
Population 170

Sztynort [ˈʂtɨnɔrt] (German: Steinort) is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Węgorzewo, within Węgorzewo County, Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, in northern Poland, close to the border with the Kaliningrad Oblast of Russia.[1] It lies approximately 11 kilometres (7 mi) south-west of Węgorzewo and 87 km (54 mi) north-east of the regional capital Olsztyn.

Before 1945, the area was part of the German province of (East Prussia). The Palace was the property of the Lehndorff family since 1420 (by other sources since 1565) until the expulsion of Germans from Poland after the border changes of 1945. The current palace was built by Marie Eleonore von Lehndorff née von Dönhoff after an older building had been destroyed by Polish Tatars in the Second Northern War in 1656.[2]

German Foreign minister Joachim von Ribbentrop used the palace throughout his sojourns at the nearby Wolfsschanze between 1941 and 1944.[3] The last proprietor of the estate, Heinrich Count von Lehndorff, was executed by the Nazis for his participation in the plot against Hitler that failed with the faulty assassination attempt on July 20, 1944, at the nearby Wolfsschanze wartime military headquarters of the Nazi regime.

After 1945, the palace was occupied for several years by the Red Army. An agricultural cooperative moved in in 1950. In 2009, it could still be viewed only from the outside, the intererior, neglected for more than half a century, having become badly degraded.

In November 2009, the ownership of the palace was transferred to the German-Polish Foundation for Cultural Maintenance and historic Preservation (Deutsch-Polnische Stiftung Kulturpflege und Denkmalschutz), and reconstruction of the ruins began in 2010.[2]

The village has a population of 170.

Notable residents


Coordinates: 54°7′54″N 21°41′5″E / 54.13167°N 21.68472°E / 54.13167; 21.68472

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.