World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0000118747
Reproduction Date:

Title: Michielsgestel  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 's-Hertogenbosch, Maaskantje, Bernheze, Schijndel, Sint-Oedenrode
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Town hall of Sint-Michielsgestel
Town hall of Sint-Michielsgestel
Flag of Sint-Michielsgestel
Coat of arms of Sint-Michielsgestel
Coat of arms
Highlighted position of Sint-Michielsgestel in a municipal map of North Brabant
Location in North Brabant
Country Netherlands
Province North Brabant
 • Body Municipal council
 • Mayor Jan Pommer (CDA)
 • Total 59.34 km2 (22.91 sq mi)
 • Land 58.44 km2 (22.56 sq mi)
 • Water 0.90 km2 (0.35 sq mi)
Elevation[3] 6 m (20 ft)
Population (May 2014)[4]
 • Total 28,286
 • Density 484/km2 (1,250/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postcode 5258, 5270–5275, 5290–5294
Area code 073
Website .nlsint-michielsgestel
Dutch Topographic map of Sint-Michielsgestel, June 2015

Sint-Michielsgestel (Dutch pronunciation: ) is a municipality and a town in the southern part of the Netherlands. It is located directly south of 's-Hertogenbosch, the capital of North Brabant province. Its name refers to archangel St. Michael.

Population centres

  • Berlicum
  • Den Dungen
  • Gemonde (nl)
  • Sint-Michielsgestel
  • Smaller townships, also part of Sint-Michielsgestel, are:

Besselaar, Doornhoek, Haanwijk (nl), Hal, Halder (nl), De Bus, De Hogert, De Loofaart, Heikantse Hoeve, Hersend, Hezelaar, Hoek, Kerkeind, Laar, Maaskantje, Middelrode (nl), Nijvelaar, Plein, Poeldonk (nl), Ruimel, Tielse Hoeve, Wielsche Hoeven, Wamberg (nl) and Woud.

Contemporary Sint-Michielsgestel

Major employer in the town of Sint-Michielsgestel is Kentalis (nl), a resource center for sensory and communicative disabled people formerly known as Institute for the deaf and hearing impaired called Instituut voor Doven (nl) aka Viataal.

Most inhabitants are commuters as there is little to no industry in town.

The river Dommel, which flows from a well in Belgium to the river Maas in The Netherlands, divides the town in two parts.
Most of the villagers come here for fishing, since the river is filled with a lot of different fishes. The fish that you will see the most, is the "Driel". The present municipality Sint-Michielsgestel was founded in 1996, by merging Sint-Michielsgestel (est. 1314), Den Dungen (est. 1810) and Berlicum (est. 1238).

The complete village of Gemonde (nl), which till then partly belonged to Boxtel, was added to Sint-Michielsgestel in 1999.


Archeological finds near the township of Halder proved that this area was already inhabited during the Roman era : thousands of Roman coins were found in 1962 not far from the Nieuw Herlaer castle.
These and other local archeological finds are now on display in the Museum of Antiquities at Viataal, visit address:
Theerestraat 42 in Sint-Michielsgestel, tel# +31 (0)73 551 79 03.
Sint-Michielsgestel was named after the high and dry sandy land (=Gestel) and their catholic church dedicated to archangel St. Michael.
Its name was first mentioned when estates or heerlijkheden (nl) Herlaer and Gestel were joined in approx. 1314 AD (maybe even earlier but there is no written documentation prior to that time).
The estate of Herlaer already was mentioned in 1142 AD by name as being the estate of Dirck, Monarch of Herlaer.

The klein seminarie (nl) Beekvliet (nl) was founded in 1815 in the town of Sint-Michielsgestel. During World War II this facility was used as prison-camp, along with the grootseminarie (nl) in Haaren. On 4 May 1942 the Germans imprisoned 460 Dutch men in Beekvliet.
All prisoners were politically involved or otherwise important to the Dutch people. Luuk van Driel, father of the famous Tim and Dirk, also known as 'grote spelers', got to escape along with a group of people, by calling the police. He was named local hero after this. Amongst them were writers Simon Vestdijk and Anton van Duinkerken (nl). Political prisoners were Wim Schermerhorn (Prime Minister 1945-1946), Willem Banning (nl), Pieter Geyl and Jan Eduard de Quay (nl), all post-war politicians.
Currently the Gymnasium Beekvliet (nl) is a renowned College (Dutch:zelfstandig gymnasium) with over 800 students.



  1. ^
  2. ^
  3. ^
  4. ^

External links

  • Media related to at Wikimedia Commons
  • Official website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.