World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Manciano

Article Id: WHEBN0001083359
Reproduction Date:

Title: Manciano  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Province of Grosseto, Saturnia, Semproniano, Magliano in Toscana, Manciano (disambiguation)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Manciano

Manciano is a town and comune in the southern part of the province of Grosseto, Tuscany, central Italy. It has a population of about 7,000.

Manciano is 18 kilometres (11 mi) southwest of Pitigliano and 40 kilometres (25 mi) northeast of Orbetello.

History and main sights

Torre di San Lorenzo, Montemerano

Manciano was once a fairly important market town for the area of the Albegna and Fiora valleys, with a stronghold already recorded in the twelfth century. A brief occupation by Siena (1419–55) left the town an imposing fortress built around 1424.

The most important site in the comune is Saturnia, an old Etruscan town with medieval walls, remains of a Roman road, and best known for its thermal springs dating to the Roman period and still in use today. The comune is further known to students of Late Antiquity as the place where the famous silver platter of Ardabur Aspar, consul in 434, was found (in the Fosso Castione, a creek near Marsiliana).

The densely built town centre of the frazione Montemerano, crowned by its leaning tower of San Lorenzo, is contained within its ancient walls. Montemerano became a power center of the signori dei Baschi, who dominated the comune. The thirteenth-century church is dedicated to San Lorenzo; frescoes remain on its walls, and a polyptych by the Sienese painter Sano di Pietro. At a short distance, in open countryside, is the church of the Madonna del Castuzzo.

External links

Media related to at Wikimedia Commons

  • Montemerano.info


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.