World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Lord Warden of the Marches

Map of the Scottish Marches

The Lord Warden of the Marches was an office in the governments of Scotland and England. The holders were responsible for the security of the border between the two nations, and often took part in military action. They were also responsible, along with 'Conservators of the truce', for administering the special type of border law known as March law.

The Marches on both side of the border were traditionally split into West, Middle and East, each with their own warden answerable to the Lord Warden-general. The English Western March was based on Carlisle and the Eastern March on Berwick-upon-Tweed.

The offices became unnecessary after the union of the crowns of England and Scotland under King James in 1603.

Contents

  • For England 1
    • Warden of the Marches 1.1
    • Lord Warden of the Marches 1.2
    • Warden of the Eastern March 1.3
    • Warden of the Middle March 1.4
    • Warden of the Western March 1.5
  • For Scotland 2
    • Lord Warden-general of all the March 2.1
    • Warden of the Eastern March 2.2
    • Warden of the Middle March 2.3
    • Warden of the Western March 2.4
  • See also 3
  • References 4

For England

Warden of the Marches

Lord Warden of the Marches

Warden of the Eastern March

Warden of the Middle March

Warden of the Western March

For Scotland

Lord Warden-general of all the March

Warden of the Eastern March

Warden of the Middle March

Warden of the Western March

See also

References

  • Reid, Rachael Robertson (1917). "The office of warden of the marches its origin and early history".   Category:CS1 maint: Extra text)
  • Howard, Pease (1912). The lord wardens of the marches of England and Scotland: being a brief history of the marches, the laws of march, and the marchmen, together with some account of the ancient feud between England and Scotland. London: Constable. pp. 194–201. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.