World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

East Lothian Yacht Club

Article Id: WHEBN0004380286
Reproduction Date:

Title: East Lothian Yacht Club  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: North Berwick Harbour, Sport in East Lothian, Scottish Seabird Centre, Sports clubs established in 1928, North Berwick
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

East Lothian Yacht Club

The East Lothian Yacht Club or ELYC is based at the harbour in North Berwick, East Lothian, Scotland. It was founded in 1928 and moved from its temporary base at the Fishermans Hall to the current building in 1931, since which time various expansions and redevelopments have taken place. Some of the ELYC's buildings are now shared with the Scottish Seabird Centre. The interior of the club was completely remodelled in 2003.

The ELYC regularly hosts national and international yachting competitions. It is also accredited by the Royal Yachting Association for various training and safety programmes. The 2006 calendar included national championships in the Laser and Medina classifications.

In December 2005 the club was awarded £33,500 from SportScotland in recognition of its commitment to sailing and sail training. Several current and former members of the club compete at the highest levels of sailing, with several Olympic prospects.

Since 2006 ELYC (East Lothian Yacht Club) has been host to the following classes for their championships:

History

East Lothian Yacht Club was founded in 1928, initially renting the upstairs of the Fishermen's Hall as its base. In 1931 the club moved to its present location, an old granary built circa 1802, which it leased from the Hamilton Dalrymple family. This is a category B listed building. Later the club leased the lower store from the Town Council.

In 1990 the club bought the "watchhut" (an ex-coastguard lookout post) and the lower store. This was followed in 1993 by the purchase of the old lifeboat store, next door to the lower store. In 1997 the club bought the clubhouse from Sir Hew Hamilton Dalrymple. An ambitious renovation project was planned, and after successfully raising the required finance, the project started in October 2002 and finished on time and to budget in May 2003.

Club boats

The Club has one Avon SR 4.7 RIB, and three Valiant DR490 RIBs (Rigid Inflatables) which act as rescue and coach boats, each with a Honda BF50 engine The club also owns:

and 2 small tractors.

Club dinghies are available for club members to sail as long as they have reached RYA level 2 or the equivalent and there is a club rescue boat on the water.

External links

  • East Lothian Yacht Club - Official site
  • Sportscotland award news


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.