World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Palacio de los López

 

Palacio de los López

The López Presidential Palace at Asunción.

Palacio de López (Spanish for Palace of the López) is a palace in Asunción, Paraguay, that serves as workplace for the President of Paraguay, and is also the seat of the government of Paraguay.

Located in the center of Asunción, looking at the bay, this building was built by order of Carlos Antonio López, to serve as residence for his son, the General Francisco Solano López, there the fact that the building name is "Palacio de los López". His works began in 1857 under the direction of the English architect Alonso Taylor.

The materials for the construction of the palace came from several places inside the country, stones from the quarries of Emboscada and Altos, woods and odrajes of Ñeembucú and Yaguarón, bricks of Tacumbú, iron pieces molten in Ybycuí, etc.

Various European artists came to Paraguay to handle building decoration. In 1867, War era of the Triple Alliance, the Palace of the López was almost finished, although were missing finishing details for completion. The ornamentation was statuettes of bronze and furniture imported from Paris, and large and decorated mirrors for halls of Palacio.

The building also has extravagant night lighting.

External links

  • (Spanish) Presidency of the Republic of Paraguay
  • [1]


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.