World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bfw M.27

Article Id: WHEBN0021124584
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bfw M.27  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Messerschmitt, List of aircraft (B), Siemens-Halske Sh 12, Argus As 8, BFW M.35, BFW M.31, BFW M.19
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bfw M.27

BFW M.27
Role two seat sports plane
National origin Germany
Manufacturer Bayerische Flugzeugwerke (BFW)
Designer Willy Messerschmitt
First flight 1930
Developed from BFW M.23

The BFW M.27, sometimes known as the Messerschmitt M.27, was a German two-seat sports plane with a low, cantilever wing, open cockpits and a fixed undercarriage sold in small numbers at the start of the 1930s.

Development

In the late 1920s and early 1930s, Willy Messerschmitt, working at Bayerische Flugzeugwerke (BFW) produced a series of low-wing sports monoplanes with either one or two seats.[1] These were the M.19, M.23, M.27, M.31 and M.35 with the M.23, the only one with sales of much over double figures. The M, of course, stood for Messerschmitt.

The M.27[1] was a two-seater, very similar to the M.23b but with a more rounded fin and rudder assembly, a fuselage stretched by about 1,400 mm (55 in) to accommodate luggage and a new, spatted undercarriage. Pilot and passenger sat in tandem in separate open cockpits.

It was successfully raced, winning the Deutschland Competition in 1932 and coming second in the Zugspitz Circuit in 1933.[1] Nonetheless, it was not sold in large numbers.

Variants

Specifications (M.27b)

Data from Smith 1971, p. 29

General characteristics
  • Crew: 2
  • Length: 7.90 m (25 ft 11 in)
  • Wingspan: 12.00 m (39 ft 8½ in)
  • Height: 2.40 m (7 ft 10½ in)
  • Empty weight: 420 kg (926 lb)
  • Gross weight: 720 kg (1,588 lb)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Argus As 8 four cylinder inverted inline air cooled, 90 kW (120 hp)

Performance

  • Maximum speed: 200 km/h (124 mph)
  • Range: 700 km (435 miles)

References

Citations
Cited sources
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.