Chetwynd park

Chetwynd Park is an 18th-century landscape garden with woodland, on the edge of Newport, Shropshire.

The park can trace its history back to 1388, when it lay southeast of Chetwynd Park estate. The country house is now lost, but the medieval deer park survives as an agricultural showground, used for Newport Show and other events. The deer park was probably established early in the 18th century, and elements of the pleasure grounds in the 1860s. The country house was built on the banks of Chetwynd pool, which is a small lake considered to have formed in the same way as nearby Aqualate Mere

In the 19th century, the park was filled with deciduous trees, including oak, beech, wych elm, horse chestnuts and Spanish chestnuts, and some crab apples. It was stocked with 115 Père David's deer. Before 1891, there was a great arboretum at Chetwynd, which provided cuttings to plant the new church's drive (Leach 1891, 367). J.C.B. Borough also added a strip of land east of the park and north of the Longford, and created a drive to run around the outer edge of that extension, leading from Chetwynd Park to a new lodge on the Longford. This lay opposite the north end of Park Pool. There were other lodges at the south end of the pool, and at the bottom of the drive to the park. The northern part of the park featured a stone icehouse, probably dating from the mid- to late 18th century.

Animals that live around the pool are shoveler, wigeon and occasionally goosander. As well as the wildfowl on the pool other birds of interest include all three species of woodpecker, nuthatch, treecreeper, raven, and buzzard.

The deer park is owned by the Newport and District Agricultural Society. As well as being open for Newport Show, which is held on the second Saturday in July each year, there are a number of other events held there each year. In addition, many local schools, as well as Harper Adams University visit the deer park for educational purposes. Although there are no public footpaths on the deer park, there is a public footpath along the south edge of the park over a stile on the right just by Pool Lodge. This footpath leads to the B5062 road, which goes up the hill towards Edgmond.

See also

Coordinates: 52°47′27″N 02°23′23″W / 52.79083°N 2.38972°W / 52.79083; -2.38972

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.