World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Division of Port Adelaide

Article Id: WHEBN0002172126
Reproduction Date:

Title: Division of Port Adelaide  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Rod Sawford, Mick Young, Mark Butler, Members of the Australian House of Representatives, 1987–1990, Angle Park, South Australia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Division of Port Adelaide

Port Adelaide
Australian House of Representatives Division
Division of Port Adelaide 2013.png
Port Adelaide (dark green) in the city of Adelaide
Created 1949
MP Mark Butler
Party Labor
Namesake Port Adelaide
Electors 105,204 (2013)
Area 181 km2 (69.9 sq mi)
Demographic Inner Metropolitan

The Division of Port Adelaide is an Australian electoral division in the state of South Australia. The 181 km² seat extends from Buckland Park in the north to Grange Road in the south whilst its eastern boundary takes in parts of Salisbury. Suburbs include Alberton, Beverley, Birkenhead, Cheltenham, Findon, Kilkenny, Largs Bay, Mansfield Park, North Haven, Ottoway, Parafield Gardens, Paralowie, Pennington, Port Adelaide, Queenstown, Rosewater, Salisbury Downs, Semaphore, Woodville, West Croydon, and part of Seaton. The seat also includes Torrens Island and Garden Island.

The seat was named after the suburb of Port Adelaide, the working port of Adelaide, with the seat of Hindmarsh moving south as a result. The seat was proclaimed at the redistribution of 11 May 1949, and was first contested at the 1949 federal election. For most of its history, it has been a comfortably safe Labor seat. The closest Labor has ever come to losing it was at the 1988 by-election, where Labor candidate Rod Sawford won on a 5.2 percent two-party margin. The two-party margin currently stands, after the 2013 vote, at 14.02 percent, making it the safest Labor seat in the state and

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.