World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Eastern District, Upper Canada

 

Eastern District, Upper Canada

Eastern District was one of four districts of the Province of Quebec created in 1788 in the western reaches of the Montreal District and partitioned in 1791 to create the new colony of Upper Canada. Known as Lunenburg District (named after Lüneburg in Germany) until 1792, it was abolished in 1849. The district seat was in New Johnstown (present day Cornwall, Ontario) .

The district was originally bounded to the west by a line running north from the mouth of the counties of:

At the same time, the counties of:

were separated from this district to form the Johnstown District.

In 1816, Ottawa District was created by splitting off the counties of Prescott and Russell from this district.

In 1849, the district was replaced by the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry.

See also

References

  • Armstrong, Frederick H. Handbook of Upper Canadian Chronology, Toronto : Dundurn Press, 1985. ISBN 0-919670-92-X
  • "Changing Shape of Ontario: Early Districts and Counties", Archives of Canada

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.