World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Edelény

Article Id: WHEBN0001659966
Reproduction Date:

Title: Edelény  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Galvács, Hangács, Boldva, Borsod County, Sajóvámos
Collection: Palaces in Hungary, Populated Places in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Edelény

Edelény
Edelény, Palace
Edelény, Palace
Coat of arms of Edelény
Coat of arms
Edelény is located in Hungary
Edelény
Edelény
Location of Edelény
Coordinates:
Country  Hungary
County Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén
Government
 • Mayor Oszkár Molnár (Independent)
Area
 • Total 56.84 km2 (21.95 sq mi)
Population (2009)
 • Total 10,372
 • Density 196.48/km2 (508.9/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 3780
Area code(s) 48

Edelény is a town in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county, Northern Hungary. It lies in the valley of Bódva River, 25 km (16 mi) north from county seat Miskolc.

Contents

  • History 1
  • International relations 2
    • Twin towns — Sister cities 2.1
  • External links 3

History

Edelény - Castle
Palace
Interior of the palace

The area has been inhabited since ancient times (Paleolithic stone tools were found here.) Edelény was first mentioned in 1299, but the village of Borsod, which was annexed to the town in the 20th century, was already mentioned in 1108 (Borsod comitatus belonged to the castle of Borsod in the Middle Ages.)

The residents of Edelény worked in agriculture in mediaeval times. During the Turkish occupation of Hungary the town was deserted several times.

The Jewish population (1910: 8.3%, 1941: 7.9%) were deported and murdered in early June 1944.

In the 19th century industry became more important in the area. In 1838 a sugar factory was built, and a brown coal mine was opened.

Two nearby villages were annexed to Edelény: Borsod in 1950, and Finke in 1963.

Edelény got town status in 1986.

International relations

Twin towns — Sister cities

Edelény is twinned with:

External links

  • Official site
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.