World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0015734517
Reproduction Date:

Title: Flixecourt  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Somme department, Arrondissement of Amiens, Battle of Berlin (RAF campaign), Teddy Bertin
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia



Coordinates: 50°00′49″N 2°04′55″E / 50.0136°N 2.0819°E / 50.0136; 2.0819Coordinates: 50°00′49″N 2°04′55″E / 50.0136°N 2.0819°E / 50.0136; 2.0819

Country France
Region Picardy
Department Somme
Arrondissement Amiens
Canton Picquigny
Intercommunality Val de Nièvre et environs
 • Mayor (1989–present) René Lognon
 • Land1 11.84 km2 (4.57 sq mi)
Population (2009)
 • Population2 3,222
 • Population2 density 270/km2 (700/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 80318 / 80420
Elevation 6–105 m (20–344 ft)
(avg. 82 m or 269 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Flixecourt is a commune in the Somme department in Picardie in northern France.


Flixecourt is situated on the N1 road and the banks of the river Nièvre, a tributary of the river Somme, some 20 miles (32 km) south of Abbeville. A junction with the A16 autoroute is about a mile away.


In the 12th century, Flixecourt was a fief of Amiens and the site of a leper hospice.

The fiefdom passed to the Louvencourt family, then in 1276 to the Fieffes family, who built a priory, entrusting the management of it to the vidame of Picquigny,
The town that was established here comprised 140 homes at the start of the Hundred Years War, but only 40 in 1548.
In 1545, Charles d'Ailly obtained permission from the King to create a weekly market. This privilege continued for his son, Louis d'Ailly, in 1567.
In 1603, a huge fire burnt down half the town.
Near the site of the present-day church are vestiges of a château, mentioned in a notarial document in 1618, in which Philibert-Emmanuel d’Ailly, granted the structure to a certain Louis de la Massonière, provided he financed the repairs.
Towards the end of the French revolution, the château belonged to the Croquoison family.
The present church was built in 1721. The town’s commerce at this time was based on the production of peat and of linen
In 1815, there were two watermills and two windmills.

The discovery of a new natural fibre, jute, changed the destiny of both the town and the region. In 1840, the Saint brothers set up a weaving factory, employing locals and Scottish weavers. The factory was electrified in 1907. Before the outbreak of World War I, 14,000 people were employed here.

The town was the factory, and the factory was the town. The owners set in place all manner of improvements to the daily and social life of the workers. Piped water supplies and electricity to all homes, a school, a creche, a pharmacy, a maternity hospital and a cooperative. After World War II and the advent of man-made fibres, the factory went into irreversible decline.


Historical population of Flixecourt
Year 18511962196819751982199019992006
Population 16993285345935463276293129783185
From the year 1962 on: population without double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.

Places of interest

The town has a rich architectural heritage, typical of the first industrial revolution. Many are in a bad state of repair. Some have been restored but more needs to be done.

  • The château (Folly) of the Saint family
  • The buildings of ‘La Prévoyance’, near the railway
  • The church (the tower was rebuilt in 1940)
  • The railway station, dating from 1875, (destroyed by a fire at the beginning of the 21st century)


Teddy Bertin, a French professional footballer, was born at Flixecourt

See also



External links

  • Flixecourt on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.