World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fort Davis (Washington, D.C.)

Article Id: WHEBN0008331480
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fort Davis (Washington, D.C.)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Greenway (Washington, D.C.), Civic Betterment, Woodland, Washington, D.C., Burrville (Washington, D.C.), Arboretum (Washington, D.C.)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fort Davis (Washington, D.C.)

Fort Davis
Neighborhood
Map of Washington, D.C., with the Fort Davis neighborhood highlighted in red
Map of Washington, D.C., with the Fort Davis neighborhood highlighted in red
Coordinates:
Country United States
Territory Washington, D.C.
Constructed 1941
Named for Fort Davis, an American Civil War-era fort

Fort Davis is a residential neighborhood located in southeast Washington, D.C., on the border between the District of Columbia and Maryland. It is bounded by Southern Avenue, Pennsylvania Avenue SE, and Alabama Avenue SE/Bowen Road SE.

Fort Davis Park abuts the western corner of the neighborhood. This park was the site of an American Civil War fort that gives the neighborhood its name. Fort Dupont Park is adjacent to the neighborhood's northern border on Alabama Avenue SE between Massachusetts Avenue SE and Burns Street SE.

The Fort Davis neighborhood was primarily undeveloped forest until 1941. Max Sugar, a real estate developer, built the first homes in the area in late 1940. The 250 brick detached houses, originally known as "Dupont Village", were bounded by 41st Street SE, 42nd Street SE, Fort Dupont Street SE, and Southern Avenue. Sugar's development was aimed at upper-income defense workers.[1]

References

  1. ^ "Dupont Village of 250 Homes In Southeast Opened Today". The Washington Post. April 13, 1941. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.