World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Georgia State League

 

Georgia State League

The Georgia State League was an American Class D minor league in professional baseball that existed in 1906, 1914, 1920–1921 and 1948–1956. During its last incarnation, it existed alongside two nearby Class D circuits, the Georgia-Florida League and the Georgia-Alabama League.

The 1906 version of the league began with six teams, but two clubs were forced to disband and a third to relocate before the league folded on July 9. Then, in 1914 the Empire State League based in Georgia renamed itself Georgia State League.

The six-team 1914 league played a full schedule and crowned a champion, the Americus Muckalees.

But the resurgence of the league did not even last two years. The circuit started 1915 as the Georgia State League and was renamed the Florida–Alabama–Georgia League (FLAG League), which operated in the State of Florida, on June 15.

After World War I, the league — again featuring half a dozen member clubs — was revived for two full campaigns. In 1920, it was dominated by legendary minor league slugger Ike Boone, who batted .403 and led the GSL in hits, runs and home runs.

The Georgia State League revived in 1948 during the post-World War II boom in minor league baseball. It expanded from six to eight teams in 1949, and by 1952 had begun to attract working agreements or affiliations with Major League Baseball farm systems. But as the low minors began to experience falling attendance during the 1950s, the GSL began to suffer. Its Statesboro Pilots club disbanded on July 1, 1955, leaving the league with only five teams. The 1956 Georgia State League began and finished the season with a full complement of six teams, but the league did not answer the bell for 1957.

Member teams

1906

1914

1920–1921

1948–1956

League champions

References

  • Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, editors: The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball. Durham, N.C.: Baseball America, 1997.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.