World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Granatwerfer 36

Article Id: WHEBN0024240310
Reproduction Date:

Title: Granatwerfer 36  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of World War II weapons of Germany, Alta Battalion
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Granatwerfer 36

Granatwerfer 36
Festung Hohensalzburg
Type Mortar
Place of origin Nazi Germany
Service history
In service 1936 – 1945
Used by Nazi Germany
Kingdom of Bulgaria
Kingdom of Hungary[1]
Slovak Republic (1939–1945)
Wars Second World War
Production history
Designer Rheinmetall
Designed 1934
Produced 1936-1945
Specifications
Weight 14 kg (31 lb)
Barrel length 46.5 cm (1 ft 6 in)
Crew 2

Shell 0.9 kg (2 lb) TNT filled
Caliber 50 mm (1.97 in)
Elevation 42° to 90°
Traverse 33° 45'
Rate of fire 15-25 rpm
Muzzle velocity 75 m/s (246 ft/s)
Effective range 50 m (54.7 yd) min
510 m (557.7 yd) max
Maximum range 520 m (568.7 yd)
Sights Telescopic, later none

The 5 cm leichter Granatwerfer 36 (5 cm leGrW 36) was a light mortar used by Nazi Germany during World War II.

History

Development started in 1934 by Infantry with a hitting power and range capability greater than any other weapon readily available at the squad or section level.

External links

  • German 5cm Leichte Granatwerfer 36
  • Lone Sentry:50-mm Light Mortar, German

References

  • Gander, Terry and Chamberlain, Peter. Weapons of the Third Reich: An Encyclopedic Survey of All Small Arms, Artillery and Special Weapons of the German Land Forces 1939-1945. New York: Doubleday, 1979 ISBN 0-385-15090-3


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.