World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ironton Petersburg Street Railway

Article Id: WHEBN0008334228
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ironton Petersburg Street Railway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ironton, Ohio
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Ironton Petersburg Street Railway

Ohio Valley Electric Railway
The former bus barn of the OVER.
Operation
Began operation organized September 27, 1899
Ended operation 1937
Technical
Track gauge (?)
Electrification Overhead lines

The Ohio Valley Electric Railway was a street railway and interurban system that ran between Huntington, West Virginia, and Ashland, Kentucky. The system was also connected by ferry to Ironton, Ohio.

History

The Ohio Valley Electric Railway was organized Sept. 27, 1899, and, backed by Senator Johnson N. Camden, bought out the Consolidated Light and Railway Company of Huntington, the Ashland and Catlettsburg Street Railway, and the Ironton and Petersburg Street Railway. By the fall of 1900, new track connected the West Virginia and Kentucky segments of the line, and the combined properties became known as the Camden Interstate Railway Company.

In 1908, the company changed its name back to the Ohio Valley Electric Railway. Street railway operations ceased in 1937.

References

  • Hilton, George and Due, John, The Interurban Railways in America Stanford Univ Press, 1960, reissue 2000. (ISBN 0-8047-4014-3.)

External links

  • HuntingtonTrolley.com
  • KentuckyExplorer.com
  • ElectricalRailroaders.org
  • LawrenceCountyOhio.com
  • Camden Park history
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.