World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

John Vesey

Memorial dedicated to Vesey in Vesey Gardens, located to the side of Holy Trinity Church in Sutton Coldfield where he is buried

John Vesey or Veysey (1462?–1554) was an English bishop.

Life

Vesey was born John Harman, probably about 1462, the son of a yeoman farmer, in a farmhouse now known as Moor Hall Farm, Sutton Coldfield. He received his education at Magdalen College, Oxford, where he gained a doctorate in canon canon and civil law. After ordination he was appointed rector of St Mary's Church, Chester. He founded Bishop Vesey's Grammar School for boys in Sutton Coldfield in 1527, which is named after him to this day.

Vesey became a friend of Thomas Wolsey who was also educated at Magdalen College. Until 1508 he served as Archdeacon of Barnstaple. In 1509, Wolsey became a canon of Windsor and chaplain to Henry VIII of England. Vesey was appointed a canon of Exeter Cathedral. Vesey became the Bishop of Exeter in 1519 and the King awarded him the temporalities of the see, worth about £1,500 a year. The town of his birth benefited greatly from his wealth. In 1527 he obtained permission to enclose a large plot of land close to his birthplace and built a grand house (as of 2013 the site of Moor Hall Hotel) where he occasionally lived.

The township of Sutton Coldfield had fallen on hard times and Vesey took it on himself to restore the fortunes of the town and its inhabitants. He prevailed upon the King to grant a Royal Charter of incorporation for the town in 1528; this entrusted the government of the town to a warden and to 24 local inhabitants known together as the Warden and Society of the Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield.

Vesey is credited with rebuilding the aisles of the church, reviving the markets and building a marketplace, paving the town, building two stone bridges, founding and endowing a free grammar school, Bishop Vesey's Grammar School, and building 51 stone houses.

Vesey survived the fall of Wolsey in 1529 and prospered reasonably under Thomas Cromwell until 1551, when his opposition to the English Reformation caught up with him. He was deprived of his see and its temporalities in exchange for a pension of £485 a year. He was restored to the see of Exeter when Queen Mary came to the throne in 1553. He died in 1554 and was buried at Holy Trinity Church on Trinity Hill, Sutton Coldfield, which the school visits annually in a ceremony.

Sutton Coldfield was granted the Royal Tudor Rose by King Henry VIII in thanks for being aided by a young woman who shot dead, with an arrow, a wild boar which was charging at the King. He asked for the person responsible to come forward and a young woman from Sutton Coldfield came out of the trees.. Vesey, a close friend of the King, was present at at the incident. They also returned dispossessed land to the young woman's family.

Sources

  • George Oliver, The Lives of the Bishops of Exeter, 1861.
  • Fryer, Geoffrey R.D. (1997), John Vesey and His World: A Biography of Bishop Vesey (c.1465-1554) of Sutton Coldfield: published by the author. ISBN 0-9682625-0-3.

External links

  • Birmingham city Tourism page
  • [1]
Religious titles
Preceded by
Hugh Oldham
Bishop of Exeter
1519–1551
Succeeded by
Myles Coverdale
Preceded by
Myles Coverdale
Bishop of Exeter
1553–1554
Succeeded by
James Turberville
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.